Newbie needs guidance on a tiller to console conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoky

Reaction score
I have a 1988 16' Alumacraft Lunker with a 40 HP tiller Merc that I want to convert into a center console boat. It has a deck now but the decking is screwed to the aluminum supports in the floor, which makes for lots of screws working their way out. As part of the conversion, I'd like to know how to create a better deck-to-hull connection, how to properly prepare the hull for the conversion (e.g. should I remove and replace all the flotation?), how to properly mount a center console to the deck or hull, and how to properly run steering control cables back to the motor. To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about how to approach this project or work with aluminum. I'm retiring in a few weeks so this is a retirement project and I have the entire Winter to complete it. I have a line on a 25hp Evinrude with controls so I'll just take off and sell the Merc and replace it with the Evinrude. I'd be grateful for any and all suggestions about how to approach this project. Many, MANY thanks in advance for whatever anyone would like to offer, in terms of guidance.

Smoky

This is a different project than any that I've done. I only have a comment or two.

Smarter people than I will be on board to help, soon....(I hope).

As part of the conversion, I'd like to know how to create a better deck-to-hull connection,

One boat that I had had a center console that was affixed to the deck with 3M5200. Yes, it was also screwed down, but I am convinced that the 3M5200 would have held in a hurricane.

how to properly prepare the hull for the conversion (e.g. should I remove and replace all the flotation?),

Most everyone on this site that lifts their decks finds waterlogged foam. It adds weight and doesn't help much if you were to get swamped. I'd replace it.

how to properly mount a center console to the deck or hull,
There are items called rivet-nuts. They can be pressed into place and then bolts secured to them. Check Youtube and you will find a number of good videos, including some that do not call for any special tools for installation.

and how to properly run steering control cables back to the motor.

I'll leave that topic for people smarter than I.

regards, and welcome aboard. richg99

welcome Smoky

you will find that as you float along with us in the pond,
photos will always help with your build.

there are dozens of good threads here that deal with
fastening the deck to the hull. Just read up and see
what will best fit your application.

and a personal note: after you get the deck secure,
assemble all your cables and controls and try several dry fits
BEFORE you go and making the console permanent.

Thanks, Johnny! I'm thinking center console so I can fish around it. I was thinking that I would need to run the cables under the decking but you seem to be saying that's not a good idea. Correct?

Smoky said:
Thanks, Johnny! I'm thinking center console so I can fish around it. I was thinking that I would need to run the cables under the decking but you seem to be saying that's not a good idea. Correct?

No, it's a better idea to leave them laying in the floor of the boat so you and everyone else in the craft can trip over them while fighting a big fish.

Hey moron...I'm new at this. If you can offer me some intelligent advice, do so. Otherwise go open up a great big can of STFU and drink it.

Smoky said:
Hey moron...I'm new at this. If you can offer me some intelligent advice, do so. Otherwise go open up a great big can of STFU and drink it.
With only 4 posts, from the new kid on the block, you might want to put your big-boy pants on and lighten up. You'll get further around here.
Thin skins are for liberals.

I'm just about to tackle this project myself on my Weldbilt. I had a piece of .125 aluminum welded between the ribs on my boat, and cut to the exact size of my console. Ignore the leaning post in this pic.

My floor will be laid down on top of this, then I'll use rivnuts to fasten the console down to the floor and plate below. Here's a quick pic I snapped the other night while cleaning up after the hurricane. Nothing is mounted yet, just a mock up.

PATRIOT...I'm here for solid information, not to join a fraternity or appeal to anyone's political interests. That said, trolls and cyber bullies like our little buddy here typically use forums as an excuse to express their inner 3rd grader, and can ruin otherwise good forums. I'm quite sure there are lots and lots of good folks here who can help the less experienced like me and, at the same time...unbelievably...do so respectfully. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

mbweimar..thanks for posting the great pics! I'll look forward to more...and I'll post my own as I wade into my project.

No problem. I'm sure it will be several weeks before I make any measurable progress. The weather down here in South Florida is only just now starting to become tolerable. I still have to flip my boat back over on the trailer and spray one more coat of paint on it before I start on the inside.

My Lowe came from the factory with the center console riveted to the flooring. I moved it forward 2 feet to get better weight distribution up front. You want to make sure you get the front of the console into the floor crossbracing(ribs). I used some boat caulk as well and it holds pretty good. I'm not sure it would hold up to someone really large using it for bracing but you would probably need extra floor ribs for that. My cables run out the bottom of the console and on the floor then up the side and back to the motor. I would have needed to remove the flooring to run the cable underneath.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    Lowe_1652_5.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,342
JL8Jeff, thanks for that advice! If you have an opportunity some time, I'd sure appreciate seeing a photo of how you ran your cabling.

Thanks again...Smoky

Because my console is so close to the front deck, the cables run pretty close to the deck so when you step up or down from the deck you step over the cables.

Attachments

• cables4.jpg
    cables4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,327
  • cables3.jpg
    cables3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,327
  • cables2.jpg
    cables2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,327
  • cables1.jpg
    cables1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,327
Smoky - to clarify -

I was leaning toward it might be a good idea to lay everything out to explore
the best configuration of wire harnesses and steering cables prior to making
everything permanent.......
it is strictly a personal choice of how you route all the wires and cables.
for a dry run - lay it all out so you can make your notes.
once you start drilling holes in your boat, it is disheartening to find out later
that the route you chose was not the best - thus more holes.

good luck !!

If you have a Carolina Skiff dealer near you, or if you can locate anyone who owns a CS...you can look at the Omega-shaped fiberglass cable cover that they use to hide and protect their cables. Pretty slick arrangement, I found.

Looked kind of like this, from the end...
..._
_/=\_

richg99

Latest posts