Transom question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC2133

Reaction score
I plan on replacing the transom soon. Should I keep the transom the same dimensions? Or should I extend the transom near the bottom? Going to put on an 8hp motor.

I think I'd go with something between what you have now and your proposed new size. If your wood goes that low (your proposed new size), it wouldn't take much water dept in the back before the transom wood is soaking it up.

JMichael said:
I think I'd go with something between what you have now and your proposed new size. If your wood goes that low (your proposed new size), it wouldn't take much water dept in the back before the transom wood is soaking it up.

Very good point

It would be nice knowing some details of your boat including: make and model, length and beam, max horse power motor, maximum weight limits, etc.
Personally, I see no reason to make it different from the original manufacturer design. For instance, would you want extra holes drilled further down to secure the new larger wood? I'd ask around some more as to the risk and benefit. Have fun with your project.

in my world, I would go down to a line 4-6" above the floor to prevent water from wicking up the board. (like Mike said).

"risk and benefit" ??

Risk: a transom that is too small for the motor may allow the hull to flex under power.
Benefit: a larger transom board will give you more rigidity and arrest any possible
movement in the hull that could result in issues down the line.
weight issue ???? maybe two pounds between the two sizes.
extra holes in the transom? if done correctly, they are not an issue.
an option that I personally like is the additional transom board on the outside of the hull.
Pros and Cons on this one as well.
CL Transom.jpg

your boat = your call

have fun & happy boating !

Latest posts