Flipping a boat.... Paint or carpet on deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
To you guys who flip boats, yes I know you're on here..... Do you find that customers prefer, or is it easier to sell a boat with a nice carpet job or a texture painted deck? I already have a great running 9.9 Johnson with e start. I will be fitting the existing decks better than they are now, and putting a couple butt seats in.
For a 14ft boat it's extremely stable on the deck

IMO never carpet. Paint, if you want to add non slip strips or some sand in the paint that will work but if your looking to flip the boat don't invest much into her, you won't get it back. Just my thoughts.

Depends on who you're trying to sell to.

Some guys love carpet. Some hate it. Some guys want camoflage paint. Others just plain white. And there's some that pay good money for other colors, finishes, textures, etc. I flipped one a while back and lined the entire floors with Nautilex. I won't flip boats after the 1542 Grumman. Too much headache, at least around here.

Funny experience I had once. I saw an ad on CL a number of years ago. Guy had a 20hp Mercury, electric start, for sale. 2 stroke (the old Merc 200). He wanted $200 for it and said it ran fine. I knew a few guys who were wanting something in the 20 to 25hp range, so I went over to the guy's place to look at it. I get there, Guy walks outside, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other. We get to talking about the motor and he says that those Mercury's are tough as nails. He goes on about how tough they are, and grabs a hammer and starts whacking the side of the engine showing me how strong those Mercury motors are. Broke the starter.

Latest posts