Winch bow support

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al U Minium

Reaction score
I am using a Harbor freight trailer for my 1968 Mirrocraft. I got the wheel stand bolted on today and then clamped the winch stand on for fit. It would probably fit a 35 footer but the price was right at $30. I don't know where the rubber thing the bow fits into is supposed to go. There are 3 things involved all at once; the bow eye, winch cable, and the rubber bow block thing. I can make the adjustments to the winch stand to fit but I want it to be correct.

Attachments

• Oct_2016IMG_4755.JPG
    Oct_2016IMG_4755.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 688
Are the two strap irons that hold the bow bumper stop welded to the square post or is it part of the winch bracket. If it is part of the winch bracket, can the winch bracket be on upside down? Will the winch fit on the other side of the flat plate if you flip it?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

in my world, I would raise the winch assembly up a couple of inches and
position the bow eye below the rubber stopper, just as you have it now.
winch.jpg
the addition of a short safety chain from the bow eye to the winch support is
another layer of security.

Lookin good so far !!

It is welded with adjustment in the u bolts. I will try raising it up first. It will bring the boat further on the trailer too. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Raising the winch up the stand will accomplish several things. It will allow you to pull the boat farther forward towards the tongue. If the entire stand is u bolted to the frame you can adjust where the boat sits on the trailer too. The bow stop will be higher and not interfere with the bow eye. Also you can rewind your winch cable (coming off the top of the winch spool instead) so its pulling the boat up on to the bow stop instead of straight into it. Looks like there's a nice welded loop at the bottom of the stand just asking for a safety chain or tie-down to bow eye connection. You're real close, loosen the bow stop once you move it up and wind the boat into it. It'll tell you the angle it wants at rest,lightly tighten. Load the boat like you're gonna use it and drive vehicle/trailer around at different speeds. Adjusting tongue weight is for me seat of the pants thing. Others please chime in.

Raise the assembly just a bit more, you want the winch cable / strap to be pulling straight. I like my cable / strap to come off the bottom of the winch.