Add duckbill to Alumacraft 1648 MV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter5635

Reaction score
Hey guys!

First time poster. Long time lurker. I used ideas off this website pretty heavily when I rigged my first jon boat (1648 Rhyan-craft). As of saturday I'm a proud owner of a brand new 2017 Alumacraft 1648 MV NCS! I have a good idea of how I want to rig everything up, but I have one question. I want to add a "duck bill" platform to the bow to mount some spot lights and nav lights. Has anyone done anything of this nature?

2zPrpKd.jpg

Much thanks!!

WELCOME!!

Not sure what a duck bill platform is but I have the same boat. Take a look at my recent post about installing a trolling motor mount. If you have any questions just let me know.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41940

I guess duck bill isn't the proper term. I want to run a piece of aluminum over the top of the bow gunnel like pictured below, except not that big. The picture is a factory boat. I don't have access to a TIG welder so I was going to rivet it to the gunnel. It won't be stood on. It's just used to mount lights. Just curious if anyone had done the same. I browsed MV boat builds for a good hour and a half last night and didn't find anything.

c3a77b1e47089c60641e0192328e5a07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres what i did to mine to mount my fish finder and trolling motor. Started off just riveted the frame to the boat but the weight of the trolling motor bouncing broke the angle frame work rebuilt it and a buddy welded it for me

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37621&start=15

Guess I am just simple minded.

When I had to raise my trolling motor ( or lights or anything else), I just painted some 2 x 6's and fit them below the TM's base. I added a piece of plywood if the height had to be adjusted.

Some long bolts and fender washers finished the job. richg99

I would just get a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet, cut to shape, then rivet it down and paint. How big are you trying to make it?

ADIBOO said:
I would just get a piece of 1/8" aluminum sheet, cut to shape, then rivet it down and paint. How big are you trying to make it?

That's the plan as of right now. I'm only mounting a 7in light bar and nav light to the plate. Doesn't need to be very big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts