14ft Starcraft SeaFarer 1960.... Lots of questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEANALIKA

Reaction score
Hi All I will try and make this as short and sweet as possible. I recently fell into the deal of the century and picked up a 14ft 1960 Starcraft SeaFarer with a Trailer, and 25 hp Evinrude & Trolling motor all for 50$ :LOL2: . The boat is in great condition as is the engine but this is where my expertise runs out. I currently have done the following...

- Removed the engine and trolling motor and gas can and all hoses and have it stored in my basement for the winter.
- Fogged the engine and verified compression is good.
- created a boat cover support out of PVC and purchased a cover for the boat for out side storage this winter.
- Removed drain plug and angle the boat so if any water gets in it drains out.

Now this is where all my questions start coming to the surface.
- the boat is in great condition and it looks to have had the paint removed from the exterior and part of the interior of the boat. Is there any reason why I should pain the boat in the spring or enjoy it for a bit?
- What is the best way to work on the trailer (going to replace all hardware, sand, repaint, and redo the bearings)? Remove the boat (was thinking about sliding it off in the spring or is it light enough for a couple people to help lift and flip on to a stand?
- Transom looks to be great and was thinking about just resealing?
-looking to add a bimi to it so I can take my kid out on it (she is 2) and help reduce the sun exposure (do they look good and work with boats this size?)

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated as this is my first boat i have owned and want to enjoy it but also make it my own.

Thanks,

A

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,319
the boat is in great condition and it looks to have had the paint removed from the exterior and part of the interior of the boat. Is there any reason why I should pain the boat in the spring or enjoy it for a bit?

IMHO I'd just go fishing. Paint is not a necessity unless you are talking about unfinished wood. My (used) 1648 Lowe was ordered with no paint, (just decals) and ran that way for over 20 years.

- What is the best way to work on the trailer (going to replace all hardware, sand, repaint, and redo the bearings)? Remove the boat (was thinking about sliding it off in the spring or is it light enough for a couple people to help lift and flip on to a stand?

I just looked up the weight of a14 ft New Lowe. They say it weighs 275 lbs.

- Transom looks to be great and was thinking about just resealing?

If it is in good shape, then just reseal it.

-looking to add a bimi to it so I can take my kid out on it (she is 2) and help reduce the sun exposure (do they look good and work with boats this size?)

Never had a Bimini, so no help here.

richg99

Huh, I had just submitted a reply but it appears to have got hung up or something. Maybe I got timed-out and I was kind of distracted. If it shows up, I hope I am at least consistent

Congrats on your first boat.

I suggest that the first thing you focus on is making sure you understand and have everything you need to safely use the boat.

Before putting a lot of time and money into it, consider using it to find out how you will use the boat, what you like about it, and what you don't like. Don't need to paint it to do that. Shoot, your boat looks pretty good and you may decide not to paint it.

I saw in an old catalog that your hull weighs in at about 220#. If that is correct, just get a couple of buddies over to help move it off the trailer.

I use a bimini and like it a lot. You will see many comments that they don't provide shade unless the sun is high. That is true because they are open sided. However, I find the for most of the day my bimini does a great job of providing shade and cooling off a hot day. However, even with the top up I would strongly suggest hats and copious amounts of sun block.

Have fun with your new boat.

once you get the hang of moving a tin boat - it will all fall into place.
pick a spot, pull it off the trailer, turn it upside down on blocks - work on your trailer.
when that is done, turn your boat over and winch it back onto the trailer - work on your boat.
Lifting one end, one side or one corner at a time is probably less than a hundred pounds.

and WELCOME to Tin Boats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Removed the engine and trolling motor and gas can and all hoses and have it stored in my basement for the winter.

You scared the heck out of me by posting that the motor is stored in your basement. Is there any source of ignition, like a gas fired hot water heater down there? I spent some time as a home owners claims adjuster and handled a claim where this lady attempted to store her son's dirt bike down there. As soon as the hot water heater kicked on an explosion ensued. It made a mess of the upstairs and required replacing a large section of floor boards! I hope I misread your post.

Don

Haha na just the motor is down there in my work shop and hasnt been ran in years... all gas and other fun stuff are in the garage. No kabooms here

Latest posts