The Goodies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catch Release Repeat

Reaction score
So I've been holding out for Black Friday to find the best deal on a new fish finder, chart plotter. Basically looking for sonar, but also want charts. I really was liking the garmin striker Bc the picture is SO clear. But it's gps capabilities are minimal.

Everyone on here seems to rave about there helix so I came to the conclusion maybe I'm over looking them. I found that I can get a 5" sonar screen for 199 and a chart plotter only 5" screen for 217. This interest me but I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with.

Does a chart plotter only unit require a transducer? Will it calculate speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A chart plotter does not require a transducer to function, however it may have connections for one. It will use GPS to.calculate speed.

mbweimar said:
A chart plotter does not require a transducer to function, however it may have connections for one. It will use GPS to.calculate speed.

Thanks, I've asked this question in like 7 different places with no reply. Just want to be sure before I make any decisions.

I recently installed a Helix 7 with sonar/down imaging & GPS. I've only been on the water with it once so far. I have not done much with the charting functions so can't really give you much feedback other than it looks interesting. It shows speed and seems to be accurate with quick refresh rates. For example, will be trolling at 2 MPH, turn into the wind and it will change to 1.9, etc. A couple of local lakes have 10 mph AND 25 mph speed limits. Now I can be a law abiding citizen- haha. Keeping in mind I have only limited experience, I am quite impressed with how detailed and quickly the GPS updates course and speed.

LDUBS said:
I recently installed a Helix 7 with sonar/down imaging & GPS. I've only been on the water with it once so far. I have not done much with the charting functions so can't really give you much feedback other than it looks interesting. It shows speed and seems to be accurate with quick refresh rates. For example, will be trolling at 2 MPH, turn into the wind and it will change to 1.9, etc. A couple of local lakes have 10 mph AND 25 mph speed limits. Now I can be a law abiding citizen- haha. Keeping in mind I have only limited experience, I am quite impressed with how detailed and quickly the GPS updates course and speed.

Lots of happy helix users on the forums I follow. To me that says something.

The garmin striker to me had far and away the what picture, idk what it was but I loved it. Wish it would chart. And the echo map series is the next price range. I actually found a 10" garmin chartplotter on Craigslist for 200 bucks and when I look them up online used ones are going for 500+ so I'm considering that.

Going to be patient and see if I can get a deal ok the Devils holiday , Black Friday.

After doing hours and hours of research over a couple months I finally made a decision. Ordered a garmin echo map 73dv. Got it 100 dollars off right and and 25 off for opening a cabelas club card. It'll be here no later than dec 1st. Updates to follow.

Latest posts