Fuel tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oigetit

Reaction score
I am looking for 3 gal plastic fuel tank. Most of the ones I have looked at have unfavorable reviews. Any suggestions?

Try local craigslist or maybe ebay for some older ones. Ive found quite a few at yard sales and collectible type stores

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I just bought a new plastic tank from cabelas since my old OMC metal tank was corroding on the interior and my fuel filter was catching all kinds of crap. My new tank is an Attwood.

I haven't had any issues with it. I crack open the fill cover when running the boat or storing in my garage. Helps alleviate the pressure issues. Most of the negative reviews I read were in regard to the tanks blowing up like a balloon. That's how they are designed unfortunately. Cracking the cover open solved this for me.

I did read something about being able to modify the cap breather, but I haven't looked into it much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically a vented cap just has a tiny hole in it, drill a small hole in the liner/gasket and then in the cap, use a 1/16" bit.

If you are going to run the new tanks the way that they are designed (keeping the cap closed), then read this thread about adding the Fuel Demand Valve. richg99

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40064&hilit=tank

The outboard manufacturer dealers' tanks seem to be the best. I bought a Tohatsu one recently which I am much happier with than the Attwood one I originally bought. Think the Tohatsu one is made by Scepter.

Yamaha OEM tank that comes with the 9.9 is a good one for sure. I bought one...was more expensive than the Attwood that came in the boat, but I sure don't worry about the tank breaking anymore. I had an Attwood 3 gal that broke at the seam while I was on the water, due to excess pressure buildup. The Yamaha tank I have now doesn't swell much. Barely noticeable.