Cutting Aluminum sheet for Compartments?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious what is the best and easiest way to cut aluminum sheet, 1/8'' thick or less, when making cuts for compartments/lids.

I plan to use a jig saw for cuts on the outer edge of the sheet to fit the curvature of the boat, but am not sure how best or what tool to use to make the cuts for the compartments. Angle grinder with a certain type of disc? Router with as small a bit I can find? I am going to be wrapping the sheet, both the lids and the remaining deck sheet, in 16 oz. marine carpet so I need to account for this as well.

I appreciate any advice or insight that you can provide! Thanks :D

in my world, I have used all the tools that you mentioned... (in one form or another).
whatever gets the job done - safely.
TinSmith Tools.jpg
the router bits do not need to be the smallest possible as they will
gum up quickly with the melted aluminum and are hard to clean. Just take small bites.
If you can find downward spiral carbide bits, they work quite well.
put the aluminum sheet on a bed of styrofoam that is thicker than your longest bits or blades.
work on a flat hard surface to hold everything more solid than just on saw horses.
Back in the day, I cut a LOT of 1/8" and .080"aluminum shapes in the sign industry with common hand
tools and achieved accurate cuts. Also there is a LOT of noise !!! hearing protection is a good idea.
Cutting any metal sheet just on saw horses alone produces an extreme level of decibles !!
Putting the metal on a bed of styrofoam with weights (sandbags) holding it down will improve the
workability greatly and reduce not only the noise level but also the bouncing of hot chips.

Making plunge cuts with the standard handheld skilsaw with a carbide tipped blade is a common practice.
the jigsaw works quite well - but is a bit slow. (and that is not a bad thing).
take into consideration that the faster a blade or bit spins, the more melted metal it will generate.
so speed is not necessarily a good thing when cutting aluminum.
- make accurate cardboard templates prior to cutting -
gloves and long sleeves are recommended to shield you from the hot chips.
Practice cutting some scrap material to see what works best for you.

hope to see some photos of your project when you get started

SAFETY GOGGLES or FULL FACE SHIELD !!!
even a small chip of metal in the eye can ruin your day !!!!

Thin aluminum can be tricky when you're trying to cut close to existing edges. I'd stick with a jigsaw. Get a fine tooth blade and turn off the orbital switch if you have it. Just a straight up and down motion with fresh fine tooth blade.

Find an old piece of scrap 1/2" inch plywood and use that as a backing for detailed cuts. For interior cuts just drill a hole so that the edge is on the line and put the jigsaw blade in to begin cutting.

When you cut with a jigsaw wear face protection and get your face right down there so you can see and control the path of the blade precisely and keep it on the line. Lots of people push too hard and the blade wanders. Take your time.... You really don't need anything more than that.

Jig saw - new metal blade - fine tooth/high teeth count per inch.

I did all of my new transom pieces (0.093" thick) using a jigsaw, less when I rough ripped out the OB cut-out, where I used a sawzall ... but in same manner, i.e., new blade for metal. Don't cheap out and use an old blade for you new work!

On thin aluminum on existing panels I have had great luck using a fine tooth laminate blade, as it cuts on the down-stroke and leaves a super clean cut :) at the surface of the panel! I also tape off the surrounding area w/ blue tape so the foot of the jig saw doesn't scratch or gouge any existing painting or finished surface.

I have used near everything and I can't say enough WOW using an electric shear. I bought mine from Harbor Freight and it can cut up to 14 gauge thick. I got mine on sale and used it for doing my seat repairs before foaming. Over 14 gauge I would use a table saw with a metal cutting blade. Don't use a carbide tipped blade as the carbide can break free and do horrific things to a person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUlcW2bnGc

I have been using an oscillating power tool for aluminum. If you try this, use ear protection. Putting the material on styrofoam is a great tip, wish I had thought of that a long time ago!

Just noticed a malco TS1 sheer that attaches to a drill while shopping. Looks like it will cut out just about any shape. Pretty expensive as well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Jigsaw to cut the compartment openings. Find a machine shop with a metal shear and brake. Itll take them minutes to cut the lids to size and fold them up. All you gotta do is bring them home and carpet.

I've had good luck with my HF electric shears for the thinner stuff and my DualSaw for the thicker (up to 1/8") stuff.

I usually make long cuts with a carbide circular saw blade. I used to have one made specificaly for aluminum, but not sure what happened to it.

Electric metal shears or nibblers work well, too, if the metal isn't too thick.

Latest posts