Boat Weight Capacity on Old Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanky543

Reaction score
Hi guys...I am trying to restore my old Arkansas Traveler and install decking and etc. I have gained a little weight since I first started my project lol. I also have a little one and the wife. So I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to determing what the capacity of my aluminum boat would be. I have read old stuff on my boat being 4-5 person capacity on the fiberglassic website. The more I read about the boat I am not sure if its a 48 year model...looks more like it might be a later one. Is there a way to figure out what the capacity of my boat would be? And in trying to get the build weight down how would aluminum sheets be for decking? Would they be better?

If you search the 'net for USCG boat builder's guide, that will tell you how to calculate the safe load limit of your boat.

I would use the lightest weight materials for your deck. Also recommend adding as much flotation foam as is practical.

Okay I did the calculations and came up with about 780 lbs. from the USCG website. This included the weight of the motor, fuel, and 100 lbs of building materials... I also did the calculations from another boat building website and came up with 750 lbs. This is the same figure that is like the info I found on fiberglasics website that said 5 person capacity. Thats figuring 150 lbs per 5 persons of 750 lbs. Now my question...is this just the person capacity or is this all the person, motor, gear, and etc? I am thinking its the 750 lbs of people weight. Here is what I found from the old Arkansas Traveler paperwork. Can someone please confirm.
image.jpg

Kudos on doing your homework!

I think the weight is supposed to cover persons & gear both.

How big is the boat? Do you really have room for 5 anyway?

its a 14 footer... I count at 2 people lol... I guess I will have to keep the build weight down as much as possible...

So all the plates I see state:

Max Persons = 5 people or 750 lbs
Max weight (Gear, persons, & Motor) = 1050 lbs

Like this
maximum_capacity_plate.jpg

I have been doing more research on this and every plate I see seems to have 2 options the max number of people and then to total max weight which includes the motor, gear, and people that the boat can hold. Would the paperwork that said 5 people max mean just the people? That is how I am reading it... It has the motor as a separate note. And when I did the calculation the other day based on my displacement it gave me 781 lbs. This weight accounted for building material weight, the weight of the motor and fuel, and the weight of the cooler and ice I am figuring.

I am going to run the calculations again to double check. The formula for calculating displacement is really long lol. The other formula I have found was the person capacity calculation which seems to be only for people:

Number of People = Boat Length (Ft) x Boat Width (Ft) / 15

My boat-

14 ft x 5 ft / 15 = 4.67 people which would be consistent with the paperwork from Fiberglassic of 5 person capacity.

In the same paperwork it says the max recommended HP is 16 HP which is what my motor is. Doesn't mention anything about max weight... It gets a bit confusing lol. It seems like the rule of thumb is just for the people in the boat not all the max weight.

Be aware that years ago the capacity plates were based on the average person weighing only 135-pounds.

Now it is based on 150-pounds ... but the USCG wanted it to be MORE than that!

I hear ya...I have to go on a workout and exercise plan to get into my boat lol.

Latest posts