FlexSeal - BedLiner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
for those of you that are considering using that spray tar junk called FlexSeal and BedLiner.
That will work for you - for awhile !!!!!
That stuff is a BANDAID - not a long time fix.
FlexSeal and BedLiner will NOT "repair" a leaking seam (for long).
from a builders standpoint, the leaking issue must be properly
addressed firsthand. Either replace or rebuck the rivets and seal the seams
with the appropriate sealer: such as G/Flex 650, Gluvit, Coat-It, etc.
some type of sealer that will seap into the seams to make a bond as well as seal it.
WHEN (not if) it comes time to remove that spray tar junk, here is how to do it.
Tools needed: propane flame thrower, wire brush, wood chisel, putty knife and LOTS of patience.
The handheld MAP propane torch will work for small sections.... I am doing 14 feet.
206 rivets down just that one seam (412 both sides) and most of them must be replaced.
AFTER the FlexSeal, BedLiner and House Caulk is removed.
The hand wire brush works to get the melted stuff off - a rotary wire brush in a drill will finish it up,
FlexSeal 2.JPG
FlexSeal 1.JPG
FlexSeal 3.JPG
FlexSeal 4.JPG
FlexSeal 5.JPG
seam 006.JPG

:shock: WOW, you got a job ahead of you. Thanks for posting the process and showing the proper way to repair.

nope !!! keeping the torch on a low to medium flame and constantly moving
helps distribute the heat more evenly. I did not notice any lingering distortion.
strictly a guesstimate - heated to about 350*f the black tar just bubbled
and was very easy to scrape off. but once it cooled, it was back to very difficult to remove.
I had thought of using lacquer thinner to clean the gunk off - but thinking it could wick
into the seam and prevent any kind of bonding with epoxy - I went to the flame thrower.
a 3" brass wire wheel in a electric drill cleaned up the residue pretty good.
in this photo, after it is all cleaned up, you can not tell that each and every one
of those rivets are rotten in the middle !!!! you could stick your whole hand into the seam.
3 feet of the rivets were drilled out this afternoon. there are about 17 rivets per foot.
open seam 007.JPG
open seam 006.JPG
just something else to check when buying a vintage riveted tin - - - -
you can not tell just by looking at these seams as to the total damage that corrosion has caused.
I have been around aluminum and rivets for well over 50 years and this is the worst case that I
have ever imagined....... I can only think of being on a choppy lake and the seams started popping open.
- - - Titanic comes to mind - - -
I am very disappointed in this project.
- BUT - the entire hull is solid and no serious blemishes. The only serious issue is the stupid rotten rivets.
will make a very nice "polished aluminum" for the next owner LOL.

Latest posts