Battery placement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunked again

Reaction score
Not sure what forum this belongs in.
Boat is a 04 g3 1756. Running a 24v 75# tm. Stock are two battery trays by transom. With two 27 series tm batts in those trays, the boat feels like it wants to get swamped when coming off plane. Even worse with two people in boat. Had the start battery up front.
Have had both tm batts up front and the start battery in back. That made it feel like it was listing to whatever side it was on.
Moved all batteries up front now. No issues of swamping now! Downside is alot of bow weight.
What is your setup? Do you just make sure you come off plane easy?
Am I being too picky?

my boat was very stern heavy. i deleted the starting battery, moved the TM battery to the front, wired the starter off of it, moved the fuel tank to under the console. made a huge difference.

I think most boats are stern heavy unless they were designed with a trolling motor initially. I put my battery up front, my fuel tank is a portable and sits in the back with the motor so I need to get weight up front. but I only have one battery for the trolling motor.

What size is your starting battery? I'm currently using a dual purpose for starting ob and running tm. Thinking of getting a smaller lawn mower battery to start my 9.9..... But it seems well balanced up front on my 14ft v hull. Gas is also portable but it is under the middle deck.

I use a lawn mower battery U1to start my 25 hp Johnson.
Works great!

Have a good friend with a 16ft G3 with a 50 Yamaha 4 stroke, Ive been fishing with him in it for years. It has the starting battery and a large deep cycle for its 12v trolling motor both in the stern, plus fuel. The boat seems very well balanced, and no trouble with swamping coming off plane. I will say it sits somewhat deep in the stern at rest, but not a problem at all. Perhaps its because his is set up with stick steering and the driver sits very far forward.

For the guys talking about starting the engine off of a trolling motor battery, this is not really recommended unless you have a small 2 stroke with no charging. A newer 4 stroke puts out some pretty good charging amps and it could damage the trolling battery over time or even the trolling motor itself.

Latest posts