Bow Eye for my Orlando Clipper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalvinXJ

Reaction score
I've used the search bar, google, and historical manufacturers data to no avail, so here goes.

I'm trying to figure out the best route to take as far as a bow eye on my Clipper.

It has an eye built in to the top of the bow; however, this doesn't cater well to having the bow stop above the eye for trailer purposes.

I have seen the standard U Bolt method, but there is a ridge along the bow where I'd place the U Bolt.

So, what should I do? Pics to follow...

7946dfe63c5339c1c0d8d4152dca172b.jpg

a7f503273272f14d1a7793a9845f7f33.jpg

your pictures did not show up

Calvin's Clipper.jpg
Clipper Eye.jpg
I don't think your Clipper came with the lower trailering bow eye from the factory.
Looking on the net for one that I needed, I found some cast aluminum
bow eyes that can be welded to the hull. (option A)
welded eye.jpg
But just for fundamentals and you don't mind the "new look on an old boat",
consider the bow eye as pictured here. Drill two small holes to accommodate
the two sharp pins so it won't twist. (option B)
eye 2.jpg
Taking into consideration of your bow being slightly rounded in that area,
it will not fit snug - and may look "unprofessional" to some - but it will work just fine.
The option for that type of eye would be to grind off the boat part flat - and I think you don't want to do that.
If you can find the rough gray hot-dipped galvanized eye, that would look more appropriate to your boat.
This is what I found to go on my '59 Crestliner - and it won't rust or chrome chip off. (option C)
eye.jpg

some of the vintage tin boats came with a wood block behind the bow eye for support.
my Crestliner had a wedge of white oak and it is still solid today.
In todays world, I would go with a plastic backing such as PVC or something.

If the bow stop is above the bow eye, then your winch will actually pull the boat up from the rollers or bunks. You don't want that. You WANT the bow stop even or slightly below the bow eye so it winches down to the bunks or rollers. In your case, the only thing I would change is raising your winch and bow stop so it is just below the bow eye.

ericman said:
If the bow stop is above the bow eye, then your winch will actually pull the boat up from the rollers or bunks. You don't want that. You WANT the bow stop even or slightly below the bow eye so it winches down to the bunks or rollers. In your case, the only thing I would change is raising your winch and bow stop so it is just below the bow eye.

I guess there are two schools of thought here. I grew up with the understanding that the bow Eye was to sit below the bow stop. This way, in the event of an emergency stop, your boat did not end up in the bed of your truck. However, in either arrangement, I guess this is what the safety chain is for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I was in the same place as you not too long ago... I got lucky and found an old alumacraft eye ring in an aluminum scrap yard. Before then I had plans to make my own out of 2 pieces of 3/16 steel cut into the right shape and then bent and welded around the eye. Cut 2 pieces and then bend them till you get a nice tight fit. Then take to a welder and have him join them around the ring:

bow%20eye_zpse6rvwams.jpg

a little work with a grinder and you could make a very good copy of the manufacturers ring....

I do not see a thing wrong with the bow eye you already have. If the winch is in good shape, get a good strap and a safety chain and go fishing.
Tim

Thanks for the replies. I think for now, I will make things work with the existing eye, and add a safety chain. I've got some work to do before it goes back on the trailer anyhow.

Latest posts