V Bottom Transoms?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
I've noticed that on almost all V Bottom boat transoms there is a piece of wood Outside on the back. Is that really necessary? Also, what thickness should I be going for on a transom? I was told 1 1/2" but want to make sure.

JG - there are SEVERAL excellent threads here that describe in detail
of how to fabricate and install the transom board.
yes - 1-1/2" thick is the normal. either 3 pieces of 1/2" or two 3/4" pieces
glued up and trimmed to fit. Then heavily preserved for waterproofing.
do not use pressure treated anything on an aluminum boat.
no - the outside wood on the transom is not necessary
yes - it looks cool. plus provides a little more stiffness to the transom. 1/2" - 3/4" ply is the norm.
some say it is to help dampen the vibration transmitted from the motor to the hull.
The correct term for the outside piece is "Outboard Motor Plate"
Size and design is limited only to your motor and your own imagination.

Attachments

• full Outboard Motor Plate.jpg
    full Outboard Motor Plate.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 825
  • transom plate.JPG
    transom plate.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 825
  • Larson Transom.jpg
    Larson Transom.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 825
I suspect that the wood provided a compressible surface. Metal wouldn't do that.

When you are cranking down on the clamps, having the ability to tighten ...into... the wood's surface should provide a better "hold" for your vibrating and expensive motor.

Anyhow, that is my theory.

richg99

Sometimes it is added on by the PO as a quick fix for a rotting wood core as well.

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan to add another sheet of aluminum to the inside of the transom then the wood and then another piece of aluminum, that is why I was asking about the outside, is this something that would be better than letting the motor bite into the wood or no?. I also have a different cap for the transom and didnt want it to be sticking out over the back. Again, Thank you for the replies, it helps alot.

Latest posts