Boat hull leak

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptJim

Reaction score
My 1964 Semi V Feathercraft has developed a leak at the V keel. There is a factory sealer that appears to be be a silicone type material at the leak site. I plan to try to dig this out and reseal. I am looking for recommendations for resealing this hull. All flat areas have g/flex sealer. this area will be decked over as part of the rebuild. Thank you for your help.

Many silicone products are acid based and that will hurt aluminum. I repaired my strakes (outside) with Steel-Flex, but G-Flex would have been just as good.

G-Flex is flexible and somewhere I posted where they show it being 'weeped in' by warming the area with a hair dryer immediately after applying, which thins the viscosity and allows it to flow into areas. Too much heat will speed the cure.

Found it, https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40954&hilit=g+flex

I think if it were mine, I'd fix from the inside and if I saw any evidence it weeped through, then I'd do some on the outside too. You'll be able to see it better on a clean hull or put cardboard on he ground or under the suspect area(s) - look for spots falling.

Dale thank you for your reply. I looked at the links. I will probably dig out the caulk and replace it with 5200. It was probably not available in 1964. I want to seal the leaks before the deck goes back in. Will photo as I go.

Latest posts