Help deciding on what boat to buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBrown33

Reaction score
Hello to all!

Ive been cruising the site for a while and finally decided to create an account.

A little background, I grew up fishing in North FL out of 16ft jon boat with only a 55lb thrust tolling motor. So experience is very limited with jons, especially with heavier all-welded jons and outboards.

I'm currently stationed in Anchorage Alaska and have been eying some different models of jon boats. The problem is that I am projected to get another assignment next Oct and have no idea where I may end up in the lower 48. I know that certain states have motor limits and that is a primary concern of buying now.

Heres the kicker, if I purchase a boat/trailer up here the Air Force would pay me 2 to 3 grand just to drive it out of here when we move (they call it a partial dity move). I could also utilize the boat space as a mini trailer for supplies needed during the trip out of here. This is the sales pitch to the wife anyway (and she bought it :) )

I have been looking into the G3 line more specifically the 1652 WSOF. From my understanding it is the same as the WOF model, except for the fact that it does not have the bottom covering the ribs and is substantially cheaper for that reason. I have a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old who would eventually be fishing with me. As far as the motor goes, I have no clue what size I need to get this on plane with myself and two kids, or another fishing partner. Not wanting a speed demon, just something to get from point A to B on plane.

Of course I want a boat now, but don't want to regret the decision and not sure what to settle on for my situation. Please throw any/all opinions at me.

Mark

I've had 14' Jon, a 1648 Jon, a 16' deep vee alumacraft and now have a Seaark big easy w/Suzuki 200. The jons were great with a 25 hp Suzuki when it was my dog and I. When I took my kids it was way too small and tippy. With kids at least a 18' with a 72" bottom Jon would be my choice. My big easy is a luxury liner compared to the others but it's way stable, can waterski behind it. The older I get the more comfortable ride I wanted so I'm hoping my big easy will be the last boat I ever buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5d26ae3118dd376fd6bb3a02e2bec01e.jpg

Big Easy

welcome aboard Mark !!
and thank you for your service :USA1:

Having been in the military myself for quite a number of years,
I was fortunate to have several duty stations on or near
the water. I grew up in and around boats and marinas
so I already had the basic knowledge of boats n motors.
not knowing where your next landing is is your downfall.
you may get stationed somewhere that the boat you buy
will not suffice and you must trade it for something else.
My personal advice would be to hang out here for awhile,
read the hundreds of excellent builds and modifications.
then when you get your name put on the roster of your next
duty station - you can research that area and see
what waterways are available.
and another suggestion is to go boating and fishing in every
place you visit !!! then after you retire and get old, you
can brag to the younger generation that you have fished
and boated on two continents and seven different countries
(as I have). that is a hoot right there LOL.
My brother was in the Army and stationed there in Anchorage.
then, he went to Seoul, S.Korea, then to someplace out in
the desert - LOL - never did get around the water until years
later in Virginia.
So if you can, just wait it out until you get a pretty good idea
of your next duty station. KEEP WARM !!

Jet or prop? Given that your next posting could be overseas I would wait. My dad was in the RAF and we lived all over the place. We came back to the UK from Cyprus in the 60's and our neighbour was a USAF Captain on an exchange tour. They brought ALL their freaking possessions with them for 3 years including two cars(with steering wheel on wrong side) and then shipped it all back stateside. Failing that I see lots of little jets for sale in AK on Craigslist. Buy something cheap, flippable and second hand that you can resell or take with you when you move(if applicable). At least you'll find out if a 16 footer is going to be enough boat for you. 2-footitis is a boat owners endemic disease......

Years ago I was active duty Marine and got deployed for Desert Storm. Perk of the military is they provide storage for your stuff when you deploy elsewhere.
Jon boats are used everywhere. Buy one in AK and when you move south drag it with you, you can fish anywhere with it. You can also sell it anywhere. Take your kids fishing as much as you can, the memories it creates are priceless. The longer you wait the fewer memories you / they will have. My .02

Well Johnny gave you some good advice. Beside if you do come down on Levy orders in Oct. it will be tuff to get through the Canadian Rockies that time of year. 20 years in the Army I know you will feel you have to put a lot of things on hold to often. But in this case it's the smart thing to do. Your other option is to buy a used boat that will get you buy until you have your orders and can sell it. Being to Alaska a handful of times. I know how hard it is just to rent for a day deal can be. I would wait and see where you land down here. Your kids are still very young. Nine months to them won't be a big change. Iam from north Florida to but here in the Great Lakes now. In laws on the St Mary's river. I do miss the rivers.

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I will hold off at least for now..unless I come across and absolute steal.

Latest posts