First Timer Here: 1960 Joihn, 14' w/ Pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezer

Reaction score
Alright gentlemen,

Here's what we got, I just recently purchased 1960 Joihn (riveted), the dimensions are 14' and from my rough measurements it's 46" at the beam. The boat itself has seen it's days back in it's prime, it's roughed up now.

I turned it over and saw there were silicone patch holes all over the bottom and they covered it up with red paint (classic). So I was deciding what to about the holes, the boat holds, no major leaks in the water. But I thought about sanding the spots down and putting some JB on them. Another deal I thought of was something like a sealer for the inside of the boat? Rhino lining for a truck, would that work, or something comparable?
IMG00235.jpg
IMG00237.jpg
The boat as a whole is pretty flimsy and light but it's what I've got to work with, I mean first boat you can't go wrong with what you get. I just wanted to see any suggestions you guys had about bracing it to stabilize it a bit. Would a plywood floor help?
IMG00234.jpg

I've got a '76 Evinrude 9.9 pushing it around. What sort of speeds am I looking at for the water?IMG00236.jpg

Just let me know what all you guys think.

I apologize about the quality of the photos they were taken from my phone.

Welcome! If you look down a few posts, I just re-did a nearly identical boat.

ST

Hello, glad to have you. Your setup is almost identical to mine. I have a 1982 14' Duracraft (model 1517) with a '75 Evinrude 9.9. About speeds, I do not know my exact speeds but I am guessing around 13-15 mph. It gets up on plane very easily and is very good at keeping fuel cost down. I get around 7-8 miles per gallon.

You guys think the lining in the boat is a bad idea, would it stop some leaks?

Welcome aboard mate :D

I wouldn't be afraid of the good rhino liner as a sealent for the inside borrowing it recieves a good prep and enough coats.

Pro-will be it will seal, I've seen some decent feed back on this

Con-I'd be a bit concern how flimsy it may be, Rhino liner I don't think flex's that much? could crack depending how much the boat flex's. Its gonna get hot in the SON on it :x so you could cover it up with the flooring on top of the rhino liner, this could strengthen the boat up.

Of course the fun part is learning from it. :lol:

Wait and see who all had a similar situation as yours here, and will post.

Tight lines :)

If the rivets are what's leaking....get a 12-pack & a buddy to hold the dolly while you peen them tight.

ST

Well it's been a while and not much progress on the boat. Football and school has taken up a bunch of my time. I'm scratching the ideas of the liner in the inside. I'm planning on doing a thin floor to lay across the ribs, then carpet on that. I won't permanently put it in just for the simple fact that I want to be able to take it out when I'm not using it. I'm making the floor in two pieces and I still am not sure what I want to do with the bow area of the boat. Anyways here's more pictures and I'll be doing more work over the next few days.

You guys are great, I enjoy all the pics and the helpful info on this site
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG1.jpg
    IMG1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG2.jpg
    IMG2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG3.jpg
    IMG3.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG4.jpg
    IMG4.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG6.jpg
    IMG6.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 597
Almost forgot, this question has probably been asked already, what size rivets should I use when replacing them?

If you think you have some leaky rivets, but they aren't necessarily loose or wobbley, I would recommend Gluv-it, I believe made by Marine-tex.

Just to say....I've used Gluv It over leaky rivets applied to the bottom of the boat (outside bottom) and it worked very well. On my boat, I applied the flooring in panels between the seats....the seats went all the way to the hull, no openings under them. I used nylon strapping to make a finger lift for removing or just tilting up for drying. If your flooring is carpeted, use an extra strip crosswise to rest on the ribs. I applied mine with liquid nails and staples. Helps to quiet the flooring.

Latest posts