Jon Boat Paint / Camo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USKEW

Reaction score
Looking for some tips / advice. I have a Tracker Sportsman 18 Jon. The original paint is adhering fine (normal scratches, wore places...with no flaking around those edges). I'm going to repaint the boat (camo). I've purchased the Parkers Duck Boat Primer and Parkers paint for the base coat. I will purchase a sprayer to spray on. Question... with the original paint still adhering well what all should I do to prep the surface prior to spraying the primer? Should I rough it up lightly by sanding, just wash / degrease it and pressure wash it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rough up the surface with a light 220 grit, any exposed aluminum should be Primered with Zinc chromate (self etching). No need to sand it down to metal just feather out the deep scratches and primer, then shoot the paint. To cold to paint here right now, I usually like to spray with temps in the 60's to 70's.

The manufacturer should have specific directions on the can for painting different surfaces. For example they'll have directions for painting bare metal, wood, painted surfaces, or fiberglass. If no such directions are listed, the above mentioned will work just fine.

dearl said:
Rough up the surface with a light 220 grit, any exposed aluminum should be Primered with Zinc chromate (self etching). No need to sand it down to metal just feather out the deep scratches and primer, then shoot the paint. To cold to paint here right now, I usually like to spray with temps in the 60's to 70's.

This is exactly what I did when painting my boat. I also used Parkers Duck Boat paint through an HVLP gun. After prep and before painting I wiped down everything with some acetone. Turned out well.

IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg

BigTerp said:
dearl said:

This is exactly what I did when painting my boat. I also used Parkers Duck Boat paint through an HVLP gun. After prep and before painting I wiped down everything with some acetone. Turned out well.

IMG_20140308_103919_zpsketcbwn3.jpg

After allowing the coat of primer to dry / cure...did you then wipe the primed coat down with acetone before the finish coats? Additionally, should you wipe down with acetone between every additional coat?

USKEW said:
After allowing the coat of primer to dry / cure...did you then wipe the primed coat down with acetone before the finish coats? Additionally, should you wipe down with acetone between every additional coat?

I did lightly wipe down the entire hull with acetone after applying my self-etching primer. The primer was only on the bare aluminum spots though as I did not completely strip my boat of paint. I've also applied paint directly over self-etching primer without wiping down with acetone. No difference in the results that I could tell, so not sure it's necessary. I did not wipe down with acetone in between coats of my top coat(s).

Latest posts