Coating options for 3/4" fiberglass pole

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
I have an 8ft 3/4" fiberglass pole for a shallow water anchor/push pole. Problem is you can't even look at it without getting fiberglass between your fingers. Epoxy resin wont flex, neither will urithane. So far heat shrink seems like the most logical, but I can't seem to find it in white. Don't want red, black, green, or yellow. So...I'm open to any ideas y'all might have. I don't want to plasti-dip or flex seal it either...Haha!

How much flexing do you do with it, I would think that a good fiberglass urethane topcoat paint would work just fine. Urethane holds gloss a lot better than epoxy.

Johnny said:
you can find ANY kind of heat shrink material on ebay and amazon.
^^^^THIS^^^^

My boats left on a mooring have a fiberglass mooring whip, they work well for a few years, then they start to splinter and leave fragments, as you found out. I use the heatshrink and it's awesome!

One can wet-sand frp items, just wear good disposable or washable gloves. A resin coat works too, but will need to be updated due to any UV exposure. Thus, heatshrink is a FAST and life-time fix!

Latest posts