A message to the "guests" that are often reading here...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I was surprised today when I noticed that on a particular topic....we had about eight or ten members...and 45 guests???

Are there really that many actual people who are reading along, but have never registered, or is it some kind of computer BOT that just appears as a "guest"?

Anyhow, if the numbers reflect real people, don't be afraid to sign up. Someday, you may want to pipe in on a topic of interest or ask a follow-up question. If you NEVER post at all, at least you are then part of the family.

I'm sure Jim, who is the administrator of this site, would like to tell his advertisers the REAL number of readers who visit here. It might get us a few more advertisers and make the site even better over time.

Anyhow, just a comment from an old fisherman/boater who enjoys learning new things on this fishing/boating site. Welcome aboard, if you want join!!!

richg99

I will say i was a "guest" for a long time before i joined. I joined when i started having issues with my boat. glad i did join! so if you are a "guest" and reading this please join.

I was a "guest" for about 2 years before i ran across Daryns Bass Tracker rebuild. Most beautiful tin ive ever seen! Joining turned out to be a great investment of my time.

A good way for a forum to get new members is to have a private 'Member's Only' area that you can only access if you are logged in. It doesn't have to be anything too fantastic, just a Member's Lounge area for people to BS in. Surprising how the feeling they might be missing out will make people sign up or in.

bcbouy said:
i don't think i've actually logged out since i joined.
Same here, i like being a member,it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :LOL2: I am registered on many sites.I believe in sharing some of what I have learned and a lot of good people share with their expertise as professionals from what they do for a living or some thing that they have had a good bit of experience with. I lurked about on a couple of sites for a few weeks,kind of felt like a pervert,so I joined :D

I am a member of Crappie Dot Com and direct a lot of folks to this website when they post boat questions on CdC. Many are fishermen and only use their boats to get to the fish. I think they are not really "boat people" so once they get their questions answered they will not be back until the have another one. I guess some become members while others just use the search function to get the information they need.

I never came here to lurk, per se.

But it seemed whenever I was looking for boat info, the internet search directed me to an old thread here.

Now that I have my first tin boat on the way, I figured it was time to join. I've had a lot of boats, but never an aluminum boat. I got caught up in the bigger, faster game of expensive and complex boats. So expensive that all I could afford to do was look at it once purchased.

So I decided that I'd rather have a boat that's affordable to operate, so I can hse it more frequently. This website is a wealth of information for smaller boats.

I lurked for a bit but decided to join because the information on this site was abundant and extremely helpful when I was working on my first tin. I since continue to learn and hopefully I have helped someone along the way or at least made them laugh. Great site and good people here. Stop lurking and just join! :mrgreen:

I clear my history every night.
As you know, it's not necessary to log on to just read.
I just logged on to post in this thread
Now I'm going to logout. :D

bunny, I wonder why you do that? What does it gain?

Are you still receiving updates when you post to a particular topic, and then someone else posts back to the same thread?

Guess I don't understand (not an unusual thing for me these days).

Ha Ha richg99

If I clean all history my mac runs faster.
After I logged off I received notification of your post in my mail. I believe I receive notifications regardless whether I'm on or off as they go to my email.
When I clean my history, I'm signed off everywhere I have been.
I don't always log on until I want to say something.
It's easier if I'm not already signed on to just read. :D

Hmmm Interesting.

I can certainly see why, if you log off of everything all of the time, that your computer can run faster.

I use a simple $400.00 Chromebook and don't have any speed problems, even when I have three or five tabs open.

To each his own...if it works for you.... it works!

regards, richg99

I lurked and searched for awhile but since I have a project boat now I figured I would sign up so I can ask direct questions and maybe even contribute some. Nice forum y'all have here with tons of information!

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but a high portion of those "guests" are web crawling bots. Mostly gathering statistics for various search engines, companies, things like that. You would be really surprised at how much is going on under the covers of the internet with automated tools like this. A lot of this is information that is farmed and then sold to various marketing companies.

Eg, a company may setup a web bot to crawl the internet looking for references to "Evinrude" and gather information about the people discussing this, and if its positive or negative. Then they could attempt to sell this information to marketers, who hope to learn what areas of the country to concentrate on, age ranges, income brackets, etc.

Latest posts