Bow mount help- Jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Target

Reaction score
Hello, my jon boat has a lip around the bow so that a bow mount won't easily be installed. I am looking for any ideas or pictures on how to mount.

You can see a couple 2x4s jammed under it to raise it enough. looking for better ideas than wood though

Attachments

• IMG_3757.JPG
    IMG_3757.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 726
I am actually working with a similar situation. Different boat build, but the previous design wouldn't allow for a decent mount of my motor guide. So I just removed everything and cut a new platform.
Old:

New:

Hope this helps

Target said:
You can see a couple 2x4s jammed under it to raise it enough. looking for better ideas than wood though

Not sure if I'm much help. BUT I bought this piece of square aluminum channel from the scrap yard a few months back for a lil over $5. I can't tell you how many knick knacks I've already cut from it. Seem like an 8" piece from it, welded/screwed/riveted would do ya just right.
394024539bebd62635b08cfa1ca31d2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like that boat has a TRACK channel on it.
Cut 2 pieces of 1/8" aluminum sheet and place them on top of each other to fit in the 1/4" TRACK and make a small bow platform the width of the bow to mount the TM or a deckhand anchor winch, if you can find it a solid 1/4" piece would be better. Put braces under the 2 pieces to strengthen and rivet everything together. You may also need to put some type of spacer on top of that to get the TM to clear the gunnel, but that's NBD.
Since it will be able to move backwards, you will need to install a stop on each side using SS 1/4" carriage bolts and a small square piece of aluminum with a 1/4" hole drilled in it.
Make sure the fabricated pieces go inside the TRACK in order to hold them in place, you will need to add app. 1/4" to every edge.
I did this on two Tracker GRIZZLYS, one with the square bow, and one with the V bow, in order to mount deckhand anchor mates, it worked for me!
Because the anchor mates are mounted in the middle of the bow, I also needed to drill the plates with a hole saw to be able to mount the bow light slightly off to the side, that worked out also.
What boat is that? The V bow I did it on is a 1648 Tracker GRIZZLY Blind Duck.
In the pic., that boat you have looks like it has a trolling motor mount already on it on the port side, if so I would try to raise that up with shims and mount the TM on that. Can't tell what that is on the pic, but that is where the TM is mounted on my 1648.

Just bend your own bracket out of a piece of 8" wide x 16" steel or aluminum like they sell at hardware stores:

IMG_1084.JPG

Thanks you guys are awesome. I'll head to the hardware store to see what I can find as far as aluminum. Bolt it on or rivet?

It is a Lowe 1752.

I'd use self tapping screws on the top of the rail and deck if it's aluminum. Remember that trolling motor is heavy and a long lever... don't go too thin on the metal... 3/16" should be ok... maybe 1/8" steel...