My jackplate/transom riser

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshman

Reaction score
Couldn't find what I wanted... Sooooo... I just built my own... I'm putting a long shaft 30 Yamaha on a short shaft transom.. I was gonna get my transom built up but I didn't want the boat to be permanently changed... The new motor is just temporary, until I get my short shaft 25 Merc back together.. And I want a new hull, so that's another reason to not permanently change the boat... (This boat will get a go devil mud motor once I get a new hull)

So, I had to raise up from 16-1/2 inches(factory transom height) to 21 inches... And I wanted a lil extra to run as high as I can... But I also wanted to be able to use it later for a short shaft motor...

To do the rise, factory made (store bought) jackplates would have to be run all the way up and no room for extra, maybe not even enough... I could've stacked 2 jackplates but that's putting my motor too far back, tiller too short.. And I'm not a fan of that much leverage/stress on my transom...

So now with this setup I can mount the base a lil high at a predetermined point that I've already figured out, and I'll have up to 3 inches higher I can go, or drop it 2 inches if needed... When i go back to a short shaft, I'll remount the base even with top of transom and still have the 3 up/2 down inches of travel..

I'm a little proud of myself... Bolting it on tonight!!

(I did overbuild it a lil bit... Would handle way more horsepower, but I'm ok with it)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 880
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 880
It's overbuilt for a 30.... I designed it to reinforce the transom... I have backer plates to bolt to the inside.... I'll post pics when I get it bolted on... Doing some work on the motor and another few projects right now...

But transom strength is why I decided to design my own... Other stuff I found available would've had me bolting up too high on the transom to get the rise I needed... I didn't want that much leverage/stress being put on my transom... A 16-1/2 inch transom with the bottom bolts being at 8 inches, and then 6 inches of rise, I was scared the transom might fold.... This one will distribute everything much better.

It's a weld-craft boat so the transom is already built pretty solid so I should be better than fine...

Latest posts