Added some short term lure/tool storage today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I often use a half dozen lures, switching from one back to another and back again.

On another site, I saw where a guy had placed a magnetic strip near the front deck. Good idea, but many of my lures and some of my tools are Stainless. Even if they stuck, I thought they would jump off when under way.

The Dollar Tree store offers a tool holder that fits well for this task. $1.00 big spender that I am, I bought a number of them.

I put two near the bow, and one near the stern. They should hold some of my "use often" lures. regards, richg99

Attachments

• IMG_20170128_132205.jpg
    IMG_20170128_132205.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,847
  • IMG_20170128_132215.jpg
    IMG_20170128_132215.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,847
  • IMG_20170128_132232.jpg
    IMG_20170128_132232.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,847
The loops are rubberized plastic, best that I can tell.

As far as the sun, it will eat up anything.

This boat is stored inside for 6 months, and outside for the other six months. However, the outside storage is in a shady area. They won't see much sunlight except when I am fishing.

If I have to replace them every year or so, they only cost $1.00 each.

regards, richg99

I just put a magnetic strip on the bow deck of my 1756SC. Fortunately, all of my tools are magnetic, also for my hooks.

Hammer... good idea. Harbor Freight has some 18 inch long magnetic strips on sale for 4 or 5 bucks this weekend. I'll pick one up and give it a try.

I am constantly taking a lure off and tossing it up in front while tying its replacement on. The strip may give some semblance of organization. Ha Ha thanks

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-magnetic-tool-holder-62178.html

richg99 said:
Hammer... good idea. Harbor Freight has some 18 inch long magnetic strips on sale for 4 or 5 bucks this weekend. I'll pick one up and give it a try.

I am constantly taking a lure off and tossing it up in front while tying its replacement on. The strip may give some semblance of organization. Ha Ha thanks

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-magnetic-tool-holder-62178.html

Harbor Freight = Dat's da one!

Good idea, rich. I like that it's slim and out of the way. And the price was right too! :mrgreen: =D>

the hammer said:
I just put a magnetic strip on the bow deck of my 1756SC. Fortunately, all of my tools are magnetic, also for my hooks.

Since I've added this up front, now I'm wondering how I lived without it!

Ha Ha...I tried my strip(s) out today. They worked out great except....

.....I failed to screw it down. Everything sticks to it and then everything comes up when I try to pick up a single lure/tool/hook.

I laughed at myself when it first happened. Glue/screw it down! Ha Ha

Any tool I use when fishing stays attached to me at all times when fishing. My line cutters are connected to a retractor that is pinned to my shirt. I use locking clamp hemostats to remove hooks from fish and I clamp them to my shirt. I hang a fishing towel on a shower curtain ring from my belt. I never have to bend over and search every time I need something. For bigger tools, my tackle bag has pockets on the outside for easy access. I just don’t have the self discipline to put frequently used tools back in a keeper like the one you’re using.

Actually, my "keeper" is used mostly for lures, jighead's, or hooks that are removed and held to be re-attached later in the day.

I don't have room for 14 rods with 14 different lures attached like the pros. So, my hooks and lures might be switched back and forth 3 or 4 times each outing. For that temporary storage, the magnetic strip works well for me.

Let’s see. It might go like this:

Rod pops out of the downrigger release. Fish On!

I drop the sandwich I’m eating , throw the motor into neutral and grab the rod. I fight the fish to the boat displaying the coolness and calm of a skilled and experienced angler (what else!).

The part of the treble hook not in the fish’s mouth gets fouled in the net. Forgot where I put the pliers. Step on the sandwich trying to find them. Finally find them stuck in an empty rod holder but it is too late. My expensive rubber net is now hopelessly tangled in treble hook.

I can only use one hand because I need to keep the other hand clean (don’t want fish slime on my iPhone when I take a selfie). So I decide to cut the line. Can’t find the line cutters. I was just using them a few minutes ago to trim my toenails. Must have dropped them.

So instead I use my Rapala fillet knife to cut the line to the lure. I take pride in how sharp I keep my fillet knife. I cut the line and a big hole in the net too. Get the fish off and in the cooler just in time to take a gouge out of my heel when I step on the line cutters I dropped.

All this time my boat has made a sharp U-turn because of the wind, and my other DR line gets wrapped around my prop . And, the guys in the other boat that pulls right up behind me to ask how deep I was don’t understand why I’m grouchy.

Moral of this story: I shoulda spent a buck for one of Rich’s holders. :LOL2:

Update on "Rich's Holders".

Sorry to report this, but my Dollar Store multi-holder had feet of clay. Or rather of plastic.
After a number of uses, the plastic holding the whole thing together splits. Great idea, bad execution. Cheap plastic doesn't hold up to the wear and tear in my boat.

I am using the magnetic strip though. It is about$4.00 at Harbor Freight. Remember to fasten it down someway, or your tools; hooks and gear will all come up in a large clump when you grab any one thing. Ha Ha

Latest posts