Adding through holes for throttle & shift cables

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbird68

Reaction score
Late this summer, I added a second throttle & shift cable to my boat for a kicker motor. Right now the cables just sit on the back deck. But I want to hide them. I'd like to feed them through a tube in the back deck platform. I've looked at swimming pool hoses and fittings. Just not sure about the best and cleanest way to do it. You guys are great with ideas and I would like to pick your brains. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

jbird68

dcaa5e7a3e3ff9155859d1788c8a3404.jpg

Sincerely,

jbird68

Bird - I agree with your concept.
I personally would skip the tube idea and use grommets.
either one 1/2" grommet for each cable (two holes each end)
or one grommet to hold both cables (one hole each end.
Just a thought.
grommet.jpg

if you wanted to use thin wall PVC pipe, cap one end. put some clean sand
in a pot on your stove and get it very hot - pour the sand into the pipe,
tap it to settle the sand then cap the top.
with gloves on, bend the pipe to shape when it gets pliable. Let it cool.
cut pipe longer than you think is necessary - cut it to desired length after it cools.
the black corrougated plastic drain pipe is sold at BPS by the foot in different diameters.
the common plastic drain fittings will look nice also.
drain.png

Grommets will work or you could use rigging hose fittings for the entry and exit, Like Johnny, see no need for the tube.

Attachments

• RF-1-RFH-1-RFK-1-DP-outboard-rigging-hose-and-rigging-flange-500__37324_1398447643_1280_1280_2...jpg
    RF-1-RFH-1-RFK-1-DP-outboard-rigging-hose-and-rigging-flange-500__37324_1398447643_1280_1280_2...jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 818
Looks like cutting a 1" hole front and back and using a rubber grommet would work great.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I know there is foam under the deck. And I would have to cut some out to even pass the cables through it. I Wasn't sure about the hose. The front hole will be lower than the side hole. I just don't want to bend my cables too much.

Sincerely,

jbird68

The grommits would be very minimal compared to a larger fitting. Right now my boat is still in winter storage.

Sincerely,

jbird68

Finally put the hole through the panel and ran my cables to the motor. I ended up buying some panel edging to protect the cable from scraping on the sheet metal. It was a bugger to get on and stay over the carpet. I might redo it later because I see I cut it a little short and does not protect 100% all the way around.

62f87bbde7d52b5dc624d5ccff67a685.jpg
e79e980b89c51abb53ee0bc5ba51cdd1.jpg
2bd5e6754a8b41392e651488e68fc621.jpg

Sincerely,

jbird68

Latest posts