Buy a new outboard or a 93 bass tracker pro 17?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have about $4500 for a new outboard that will go on a like new Polar Kraft 1448 flat jon or I could buy a very nice used 1993 bass tracker pro 17 with a 40 hp Evinrude tracker. It looks good in the photos but I have not actually seen it with my own eyes. I am hoping to see it this week if it doesn't get sold first. I don't hunt with my jon. I pretty much just fish the rivers and inlet/cove areas of the big lakes. What would you do and why?

I'd buy the new outboard as long as the boat is solid. 4500 will get you a new mercury. You see alot of older outboards out there but there's nothing like having something new, dependable, and have a great warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

14-foot boat with a new engine, or an older 17 foot with an old engine.

Unless you have a big need to cross larger water, and assuming you fish alone a lot in the 14, I'd vote for the new motor. Lots of things can go wrong with a 1993 boat.

In fact, last year, I wound up scrapping my 1996 Lowe due to major leaking issues. I kept the 20-year-old motor. I worry about just WHEN that motor is going to go out.

Just my opinion, of course. richg99

I also learned that when you buy something used then you have to do stuff to it to suit you on top of whatever expense you'll have for repairs. Every used outboard I've ever had had to have some kind of service or needed something that costed me at least 500 out the gate so not only do you end up with a old boat that needs work. You end up with more in it then you had originally planned on spending. Get the new motor and get some enjoyment out of it instead of headache and frustration. Nothing worse then being broke down on the water.

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice and comments. It is just what I was thinking. I do fish alone for the most part unless you count my dogs. They are almost always in the boat. I will still check that boat out but and am pretty sure I will just get a 25 hp EFI Suzuki. I should be flying in my 1448 with that outboard.

Latest posts