Transom cap 1969 Lund

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytebyte

Reaction score
I am about to start work on a 1969 14 foot Lund V. Not sure what had happened but something has hit the center of the transom where the motor would mount. It has a pretty good size dent in it and bent up and tore the transom cap. Does anyone know where I could find the correct size channel to make a new cap? I can find angle aluminum all over but so far not able to find the right sized channel to replace this cap with. Thanks, Jim

Not able to post a picture but it is the piece that would cap the top of the transom. Without going out to measure I would guess it to be about 1 3/4 inches wide with a drop on each side of about 1/2 inch and goes all the way across the back and under the corner braces. I will take a look and see if I can get it at the place mentioned. Thanks

After taking a look at the bend in this cap I think I will try and straighten it. I have nothing to lose if it doesn't work and my experience with trying to bend aluminum back isn't very good as it seems to crack. My question is do you think heating it up would help my chances of bending it back? Would like to keep the original cap if possible. Thanks

yes, you can apply heat with a hand held propane MAPP torch.
Keep this in mind:
aluminum melts at 1,221°F.
a MAPP gas torch can heat the aluminum up to 400-700 degrees.
after the heat is applied, it decreases the temper called annealing.
then you can hand form the softer version of what you started with.
after the metal has been annealed, hammering and bending will
"work harden" it back to the original condition and then it may crack.
so you need to find that thin line between the two.

Dale H. just finished up a nice project where he fabricated a whole new transom skin.
maybe you can gain some information from his project.
https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548&start=15
YouTube also has a lot of DIY aluminum techniques
https://www.tinmantech.com/education/articles/aluminum-alloys-annealing.php
using the correct tools for the job will provide more favorable results.

Just a update. I removed the cap and took it to my vise and was able to straighten it out. Did manage a 1 inch crack but all in all it came out good. The old rivet holes were a bit out of shape so I went to a 1/4 inch pop rivet to install it. 34 of them. Looks almost as good as new.

Latest posts