Quick opinion please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
OK, I'm painting the boat this week, I didn't go to bare aluminum because most of the paint was in great condition. Anyways, the question is would you use this particular primer on a basic 2 tone Rust-Oleum tip and roll paint job. I don't need self etching, I don't need the auto/filler type.

I have not used it - but on the label it says it is ok for your project.
do a 1 square foot test patch and let it sit for an hour or so to ensure
it will not lift any existing paint.

This is what I use for small projects:
primer.JPG
*Maximum Corrosion Protection
*Superior Adhesion
*Fast Drying

Note: Rust-Oleum uses different oils and chemicals
to try to provide the public the best product possible.
They try not to use the "one size fits all" theory.
in paints and primers, the key words to look for are:
RUST protection - for ferrous material (steel, iron).
CORROSION protection - non-ferrous material (aluminum & alloys).
it is like taking medicine for something that does not fit your symptoms.
try to use the correct product for the material you are working with.

Regular Rust-Oleum oil enamel..... Smoke gray on the bottom and gloss white on top, roll and tip

Since you don't have bare metal I wouldn't worry about a primer. Just rough the surface and be sure it's super clean. For a roller I'd suggest using a foam material.. not fuzzy...

The painters choice 2X paints and primers are designed to be used together. The same goes for the oil based paints and primers.

I also like to clean up any aluminum oxide that I can with aluma brite or dura gloss. Gets that oxide off just by spraying it on with a windex type spray bottle. Aluminum oxide is your enemy with painting aluminum, as rust with steel.

Latest posts