best diy bait tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Got a plastic drum cut to 20 gal and bought a Tsunami 500 gpm aerator kit today (on sale at Wallymart for $25) but can't decided how to plumb everything. I like the one in the video but not sure exactly how he did it. Looks like it gets plenty of oxygen and a nice flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWt3VTIRPZg

Found this which adds some info. Looks like he's just using a bilge pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_3Yiftjx4

Shortened, painted and ready for plumbing.

l9YlvkLl.jpg

iqbBELCl.jpg

The way we setup live bait tanks here on the west coast is... 3/4" inlet on near as possible to the bottom on the side of the tank.This keeps scales from building up on the bottom. A 90 deg fitting inside the tank to direct waterflow so it flows counterclockwise. The less obstructions inside the tank the better, bait has nothing to crash into. Put a ball valve on the inlet line to regulate the flow(500gph seems excessive for 20gal). I use a transom mounted 360gph pump, ample for a 20gal tank.
For the outlet, a 1 1/2 thru hull however high up in the tank you want your water level with a screen large enough to pass scales but not allow bait to become trapped. 1 1/2" nylon reinforced hose to a thru hull or if possible just draped over the side.
Aerators we don't use here, just circulating water through the tank keeps our sardines and anchovies happy.

Thanks Man. I agree, I'm gonna set it up as intended. This is the kit. It's small boat so the overflow will drape over the side.

05P8iDPl.jpg

I spect I'll tip it over to wash it out sometimes. I'm tempted to put a 12" piece of bent 1/2" pvc on each side with a tee in the middle. How much does it matter if the water flows in a circle.

water bouy said:
I spect I'll tip it over to wash it out sometimes. I'm tempted to put a 12" piece of bent 1/2" pvc on each side with a tee in the middle. How much does it matter if the water flows in a circle.
Quite a bit if you put shad in it.

As I was reading about bait tanks someone said bait fish like to swim in one direction rather than the other. Does that sound likely?

Latest posts