Question on moving console on Alumacraft 2072 *pics added

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDrifter

Reaction score
I bought a 2007 2072 Alumacraft that was a barebones tiller. No storage, no nothing. 3 batteries and a 12gal fuel cell in back. Previous owner bought a simple $100 console and rigged it up for steering while still sitting on the back deck in the same spot as if you were using a tiller. It's got a 2015 115 Merc 4stroke. As it sits right now, it's extremely light and fast out of the hole but porpoises really bad.

I mainly catfish the rivers and want to take the boat to a local fabricator to build dual aluminum consoles all the way forward against the front deck (front deck is about 5 feet long)

On to the question : will this put too much weight forward? Will the boat still have decent performance? Anything I need to be careful of or look for? Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

I'll try and attach pics. Don't make fun of my fence

Attachments

• IMG_20170217_172625885.jpg
    IMG_20170217_172625885.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • IMG_20170217_172641930_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170217_172641930_HDR.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • IMG_20170217_172911061.jpg
    IMG_20170217_172911061.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_20170217_172850207.jpg
    IMG_20170217_172850207.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,312
I know a guy who has one. Not with a front mounted console, but a more conventional console. He hauls an ATV on the front deck, and a bunch of other junk in the boat. Drives over to an island, hunts for a week unless the weather is bad, and comes back. It planes just fine. Little more sluggish than unloaded but it works fine.

The porpoising is almost always a function of too much trim.

You should have no problem with the console forward. I moved mine forward about 2-1/2 feet and relocated the battery under the console to get weight forward. It should help with your porpoising, but you might need the transom wedges if it still porpoises with the weight forward. I don't have a 2072 but it should be the same concept. I didn't move it all the way up on the deck like a lot of people do because I wanted to save the deck space.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,286
I would think any sort of chop or vessel wake would beat your brains out up front. Before you go through the trouble of relocating the console, and extending rigging and wiring, maybe try some Bennett self leveling trim tabs

I mounted the console forward in my Weldbilt from the get go. Weight balance was perfect, but MAN what a rough ride. Right now the console is mounted about 3 feet behind where it was originally. Once I get the boat finished I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't have the same problem as you...But if I do I'll get the trim tabs.

mbweimar said:
I would think any sort of chop or vessel wake would beat your brains out up front. Before you go through the trouble of relocating the console, and extending rigging and wiring, maybe try some Bennett self leveling trim tabs

I mounted the console forward in my Weldbilt from the get go. Weight balance was perfect, but MAN what a rough ride. Right now the console is mounted about 3 feet behind where it was originally. Once I get the boat finished I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't have the same problem as you...But if I do I'll get the trim tabs.
I don't know how I missed that, but I hadn't even thought about the ride. That's a good point to consider

I mean for running rivers and small lake you should be fine. But larger bodies of water or stormy weather won't be fun.

I think any mod v will beat you up on choppy water. I agree that you will feel it a little more being up front, but moving the console up front is more for river running than lake running imo. If you use the boat mostly on lakes, I would probably keep the console in the middle.

JL8Jeff said:
I think any mod v will beat you up on choppy water. I agree that you will feel it a little more being up front, but moving the console up front is more for river running than lake running imo. If you use the boat mostly on lakes, I would probably keep the console in the middle.
Majority of my boating will be on the MO River near Kansas City. I think I've made up my mind to have the consoles built all the way up front.

Latest posts