Aluminum Supports Ripped, how to support with 2x2s?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_cheapo

Reaction score
I"m needing to support my front casting deck with 2x2s but I'm concerned about making pressure points on my hull and tearing it up. Front deck on my boat was sagging, Opened it up and the deck was supported by the bench seat supports, the aluminum has ripped at the seams and and they are just loose in the boat. I have no experience with aluminum, no aluminum shops around and not much of a budget.

The front of the casting deck is very secure, however the back has nothing to set on anymore. The best Idea I've come up with is make 4 2x2s braced together to form basically chair legs and try to trim them to contact the v hull evenly. Is 200 pounds on 4 points too much on my hull.

Below are some pictures I hosted on imgur, couldnt get the files to upload here

https://imgur.com/Gb1iRib
https://imgur.com/TQFOxKy

Attachments

• IMG_20170217_161429.jpg
    IMG_20170217_161429.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_20170217_161429.jpg
    IMG_20170217_161429.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 441
Johnny said:
you didn't mention how wide the back part of the deck is.
In my world, I would probably go with 12" apart.
one 2x2 under the edge of the deck as per drawing.

It's about 3ft8inches

There are no ribs or anything, I hadn thought about putting another board under the 2x2s but now that I see that Diagram I think that may be the answer. It's a pretty sharp vhull with no ribs or anything to support the bottom board I'm trying to figure out a way I can make it without it just falling over under there, I suppose a lot of screws and bracing to the other boards.

Johnny said:
a little woodworking craftsmanship will be involved
to make the bottom 2x4 fit the hull neatly so the vertacle
spindles will be square and match up securely.

don't forget to make some notches for water drainage.

Thanks!

Latest posts