Looking for a source for weather stripping and close cell fo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm getting real close to laying the floor down on my Weldbilt project, and I can't find a source locally for a 4x8 sheet of closed cell foam. Lowe's and HD only carry 2x2 sheets, and according to both of their websites they can't even ship to store.

I also have a few large holes for rigging and bilge hoses to pass through that I'm looking for a specific type of weatherstripping for. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

And some of the holes I have. I'm also open to other suggestions as far as preventing chaffing on rigging.

Cant help you with the foam, my local Lowes sells it in 4x8 sheets, not sure why they cant ship it store to store. The trim you have pictured looks like Trim loc, its a vinyl edge trim. Search the web for fiberglass edge trim and see what comes up. You could use some 1/4' vacuum hose to trim out the holes. Just split it down the middle and use some 2 part epoxy to bed it.

What type of foam are you looking at? Closed cell is a feature common to many types of foam, polystyrene, polyethylene, expanding urethane just to name a few.

They carry closed cell polystyrene at every location I've ever been to, but I don't care for it in building projects as it will dissolve if you get gasoline on it by accident.

Polyethylene is what I'm looking at, it can handle gas and oil as well as water. Easiest way to get it is by swimming pool noodles. They are made from that. It is also available from several online warehouses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just_Chuck said:
Polyethylene is what I'm looking at, it can handle gas and oil as well as water. Easiest way to get it is by swimming pool noodles. They are made from that. It is also available from several online warehouses.

https://www.foambymail.com/PE12-_1/polyethylene-foam-sheets-1-2lb-green.html

Awesome guys! I'm looking at buying a roll of Trim Lol and submitted a quote for a 4 x 8 sheet of polyethylene foam from foamforyou.com. Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Plastic knockout bushings might work around those openings. Electrical suppliers also carry flexible shielding that slides over wires and then a heat gun shrinks it to look like it came from the factory. These days most wire is rated for oil and gas.

I have used polyethylene for other projects and I've never had mice chew on it FWIW...I've found mice burrowed into the polystyrene that was in the benches of my boat.

We buy the sheets of foam you are describing by the pallet loads from our local foam supplier. We use it in our shipping department. Maybe you can source local from a shipping supplies company.

Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I found a good source for polyethylene foam on eBay, the guy sells it in different thicknesses and different pre-cut sizes with free shipping.

I was literally JUST about to leave my house to go check out the local Lowe's. They have .5 x 4 x 8 sheets of polystyrene pretty cheap...But then I found this on eBay, thoughts?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/5-Sheets-24-x-12-x-2-POLYETHYLENE-PLANK-FOAM-Density-1-7pcf-BEST-PRICE-PE-/162318436952?hash=item25caeeca58%3Ag%3AOzgAAOSwA3dYhoGn&_trkparms=pageci%253A457985a1-067d-11e7-96df-74dbd180dd05%257Cparentrq%253Abe574b6915a0ab64754b4832fffd20a4%257Ciid%253A1

mbweimar said:
I was literally JUST about to leave my house to go check out the local Lowe's. They have .5 x 4 x 8 sheets of polystyrene pretty cheap...But then I found this on eBay, thoughts?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/5-Sheets-24-x-12-x-2-POLYETHYLENE-PLANK-FOAM-Density-1-7pcf-BEST-PRICE-PE-/162318436952?hash=item25caeeca58%3Ag%3AOzgAAOSwA3dYhoGn&_trkparms=pageci%253A457985a1-067d-11e7-96df-74dbd180dd05%257Cparentrq%253Abe574b6915a0ab64754b4832fffd20a4%257Ciid%253A1
That's the guy I bought from. Great stuff, you won't be disappointed.

4d38a7fb97efa6804f9a59b5b7e5c732.jpg

I bought 5 12" x 24" x 2" and 80 6" x 12" x 1" total with free shipping was $105, I looked at other foam sale places and it's about $130 a sheet with $30 shipping.

Latest posts