"Cracked" boat worth fixing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregS

Reaction score
So I bought a boat off of Craigslist and made the mistake of not putting it on the water to test it.
Now I am stuck with it.
It is a 14 ft Lowe flat bottom Jon. The motor is a 9.9 Honda long shaft. There is an extension plate on the transom that I assume was added so the long shaft motor wouldn't sit so low in the water.

It took a while to get a title for the trailer so I didn't put it on the water right away. When I finally did get to the lake, the boat started to fill up immediately. I went home and gave it a thorough cleaning and noticed some "silicone-like" substance in the rear of the boat. Upon removal, I saw that there were slits in the bottom of the boat near the transom.

I put JB weld over the slits and let it dry. Then I filled the boat with water and let it sit overnight. It didn't leak a drop, so I tossed the motor back on t and went back to the lake. It still took on water, but at a slower rate. It keeps getting worse each time I transport it.

So I think the weight on the transom extender is too much for the boat to take when it is bouncing down the highway.

I bought this boat with the hope of adding a deck to the front, but now I am afraid to stick any time or money into it.

I have considered trying to sell the long motor and buying a short one, then having the boat welded.
I also thought about having the boat welded and adding some bracing to the transom to lessen the pressure on the area where the slits are.

Any other suggestions or advice?

welcome aboard !!
sounds like you got yourself a lemon for sure.
repairs will coincide with: how much you paid for the boat.
how much you like the boat, your skill set in metal repairs,
and how much of your personal time and MONEY are you
willing to put into it. (probably more time than money).
I never-ever recommend that spray seal stuff you see on TV.
but - your project may be a good canditate for evaluation.

photos of your concerns will help the gallery help you.

oh, and please don't think you are alone in this saga !!!!!!!

sorry - just kidding about the spray seal stuff.
I just got caught up in the moment with your issues.
it is definately not recommended on our tin boats.
(the last boat I bought had the spray seal - had to burn it out with a torch).

but on the serious side - some photos will help a lot.

Welding will be your best bet on cracks/holes below the water line. Cost of the work is up to you if it's worth it or not. JB weld will not flex with the boat and will eventually leak more and more just like you are experiencing.

Drill small holes at the ends of the cracks this will keep them from getting longer. Then talk to some welding shops. The more crap on the boat in the area of the cracks the harder it will be to weld.

Latest posts