Wetlander for non shallow water boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tman

Reaction score
I was considering getting wetlander coating for my v bottom tin. I will not be in shallow water i basically want it so i can get up on plane easier and to cover up the nasty aluminum. can i get away with just using the Top coat and no primer if i clean it well and give it a light sand?

T-Man - this is what I found on an airboat forum.

"Most of the epoxy systems used in airboating use either a primer followed by a friction-reducing topcoat,
or skip the primer layer altogether and just build up multiple layers of friction-reducing topcoat.
The advantage to putting down a primer layer first, before the topcoat layer, is that the primer is
designed to grip the substrate tenaciously while providing the optimum surface for a topcoat to be applied.
If the primer layer is allowed to cure properly, before the addition of the topcoat, the primer layer will
provide an added layer of durability and protection to the overall coating system.
One of the most crucial elements to getting a hard, durable coating is allowing each layer of coating to
properly cure. Cure; not dry. Dry means you can touch it with your finger, and then pull
your finger away and there will be no coating on it. Cure means drying for enough time to allow the exothermic,
or “heat producing” chemical reaction to take place, as well as allowing all the liquid components within
the epoxy to evaporate. Only when that chemical reaction is finished, and the liquid component is driven off,
can the coating be considered fully cured. Many manufacturers state that there is a window of time when
the first primer layer is still “tacky” when you can add a topcoat".

https://bottomcoatings.com/

so to answer your question: as long as all loose and flaking paint or coatings have been removed,
a good going over with an abrasive such as sandpaper or scotch pads,
a good chemical degreaser clean, then the acetone wipe down. It is your call whether to use a primer or not.
Read, Understand and Follow the directions on the label of the product you intend to use and you can't go wrong.

Huh, I'm not familiar at all with Wetlander paint. I have to admit that I was just a little skeptical that this would really make a difference in how well an alum hull will get up on plane. I did some googling and see that it is popular with airboats, drift boats, etc. I suppose it will also make launching/recovery easier too, as the hull will be "slipperier" (or however you say more slippery). Pretty impressive stuff. I would be interesting in hearing about how this works out for you.