Carpet adhesive for aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardwoodcd

Reaction score
Ok guys (Johnny!) I bought some adhesive that I used to glue some carpet to aluminum and I'm not impressed with it. The way these panels are installed in not worried about what I've done so far. But I'm looking for a better alternative for the rest of my build. It will be used on aluminum and wood sealed with 2-3 coats spar then primed and painted with oil based. Thoughts?

On the project I'm doing, I'm using contact cement on the aluminum. It's working great, just expensive. I'm going through a lot of the stuff though because you apply it to the carpet and the aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

x2 on the contact cement. Buy it by the gallon from Lowes or Home Depot for $25-- brush it on the aluminum and brush it on the back of the carpet.. wait 5 minutes and put it together.

One note about it-- once you mate the two surfaces, you have about 3 seconds to 'adjust' it. It sticks fast!

I used 1.5 gallons for my entire 100% aluminum 16 ft Sea Ark last year.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DAP-Weldwood-Original-Contact-Cement/3033218

If you adhere carpet to aluminum you will run the risk in the long run of developing pin holes. I have seen boats that sit on trailers with carpet bunks develop pinholes where it sits on the damp carpet regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts