Deck extention, how to paint/seal marine plywood?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10sne1

Reaction score
I am planning to add a front deck extention. I am happy using marine 3/4 plywood and am comfortable with my design. But what to cover the plywood with? Am I best off using, INTERLUX
Interdeck® Nonskid Paint for covering the plywood? Or is there an easier more user friendly way? Any products from a local paint store? Inter deck means special order or high price little help West Marine. I would also prefer a custom color so I could match the existing decks, a light blue aqua color. If I do Interdeck, I'm going white, hard to clean, but cooler and matches other boat parts. Thanks for your thoughts. Tomm

I can't vouch for any of the coatings you mention as I have never used them.
but - I can share some information as to the sealing and waterproofing the
wood prior to applying any coating or carpet.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41932

as for the nonskid - a member here suggested Asper Grit.
it is a rubber sand material from https://www.softsandrubber.com

as for the white - it is okay for a fiberglass boat - easy to maintain.
but for a painted surface that you walk on - white is not recommended. [hard to keep clean].
I found a happy medium of a tan color and it suits me fine.
I have also used a brown bark color - but I like the tan better.
Your Boat = Your Call
boat paint.jpg

Read, Understand and Follow the instructions on the label of all products you use.
Pay particular attention to the safety notes and heed the warnings accordingly

Thanks Johnny, I can follow this......
dd the following products together:
1 part varnish
1 part boiled linseed oil
1 part (or a little more) of mineral spirits. Don’t use naphtha.

One note that I read is if you are in a really humid area where mildew is frequent,
skip the addition of linseed or tung oil and use a straight mix of 50/50 plain mineral spirits
and your varnish for a penetrating sealer.
The reason is that the long oils actually “may” promote mildew and mold
within the wood which contradicts all that I have read on organic oils. (not a good thing).
(sort of like cooking oil going rancid when exposed to the air - it promotes bacterial infection).
Adjust the mix to suit your application and environment.
Apply liberally with brush, roller, spray or rag and wipe off the excess when the surface appears
to be fully saturated. Let dry for a minimum of 48 hours before applying additional coats.
Two or more coats of straight varnish applied 24 hours apart will seal the wood quite well…..
Varying climatic conditions and time of day can affect the drying times. so adjust accordingly.
surface coverage varies by product and method of application, but the average is 100-125 square feet
per quart. then 1/3 of that for each additional coat.
so figure out how many square feet of board you have and guestimate it from there.
and yes, both front, back and edges require the same number of coats.
and personally, I do not use epoxy - but many members here swear by it...... your boat = your call.

But after sealing, what type paint shall I use that can be color matched? As I run a tin boat with decks a blue/green aqua in color and would love to keep the deck color uniformed. Thanks

check with your local paint stores and see what they can mix for you
in oil base. if they can't mix oil base in quarts - check into the latex based
porch and deck paint (designed for foot traffic). take color samples from your boat
to the store and they can match it for you.

in my boat, I use oil enamel on the outside and exterior
35 year flat house paint on the inside.
the part you walk on can be very slippery when wet if it is painted with
oil base paint with no grit in it.
good luck !

Note: the above boat is my pleasure fun runabout boat - not for fishing.
My fishing boat is a 16' MV Bluefin that has carpeted decks and a rubber mat floor.

and speaking of oil based paints on plywood - - - -

as a sign painter, I have painted plywood signs with oil based enamels
that were so hard they could survive a Square Dance party on them
without even a scratch.
there are paints specificlly designed for foot traffic . . . check into it.

Latest posts