1989 alumacraft competitor 165 CS transom replacement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjsiebert87

Reaction score
I've been doing research on transom replacement on aluminum boat. I have a 1989 competitor 165 alumacraft and I'm kinda stumped how to attack the transom. The splash guard and rear skin appear to be one piece. Will I have enough room to drop it and remove behind the splash well inside the boat? If anyone has done one on a boat similar to mine and can offer some advice and pictures I'd appreciate it. [-o<

I'm also trying to figure out best material for making a new transom. Once this is done I don't want to do it again. I was checking into coosa board. Does anyone have any experience using this for transom repair?

Coosa board will make your project much more difficult. It doesn't hold screws at all.

If you properly pretreat exterior plywood, the rebuild probably will last longer than your ownership.

Can you post some pictures of your boat. It will help us help you.

I'll see if I can find a similar setup of the back. I have my 12' aluminum boat on top of it and then tarped and tied off. It's probably gonna be another month before I start working on it again. I don't have a garage. I just want t have a game plan together so as soon as the weather breaks I can hit it hard so it doesn't have to sit another season.

cjsiebert87 said:
I've been doing research on transom replacement on aluminum boat. I have a 1989 competitor 165 alumacraft and I'm kinda stumped how to attack the transom. The splash guard and rear skin appear to be one piece. Will I have enough room to drop it and remove behind the splash well inside the boat? If anyone has done one on a boat similar to mine and can offer some advice and pictures I'd appreciate it. [-o<

I'm also trying to figure out best material for making a new transom. Once this is done I don't want to do it again. I was checking into coosa board. Does anyone have any experience using this for transom repair?
I replaced a rotted transom in a mid 80's Sylvan Backtroller and chose a product called Seacast after researching a bunch of options. The product arrives in a bucket, along with a catalyst and reinforcing fiber. I'm no chemist but whatever is in the resin of this stuff is what I was hoping for. The repaired transom is rock solid twelve years later and so much better than what was originally used in the construction of this boat. More info on Seacast is on their website https://www.transomrepair.net

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts