Looking at new boats. Questions. Long post. hope that's ok !

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffh129

Reaction score
Please excuse this lengthy post. I have several questions that I need answered concerning a possible future new boat. Presently I have a 2012 Crestliner Retriever 1546 Jon Boat. It has a flat floor, casting deck, and rod /gun box. No live well, but that’s not really an issue. Powered by a 25 Mercury, electric start and power trim / tilt. The hull weighs only about 300 pounds, so it’s easy to get on and off the trailer (bunk type) and while moving around the garage. There is no wood in this boat, all aluminum, including the floor and transom. The boat is a tiller model, no center console. A nice rig.
Of course I’m always looking for something better, and as I am 69 years old, I should not wait too long to look. I’ve sort of have my eyes on the following, all in the fourteen foot version. All of the boats are 2017s and all tiller models. They are the Mirrocraft Outfitter, the Alumacraft Escape, and the Lund Fury. All would be equipped with their maximum rated motors, which I believe are between 25-40 depending on the brand.
I have a few general questions about these types of boats, deep V’s, in general. First, are they easy to enter and exit from the dock? Do they pitch and rock much? Remember, I am 69. My current boat is very flat on the bottom and very stable to enter and exit. Second, when I am in it alone, and casting from the front casting deck will that be stable or will it pitch and roll more than my flatter bowed jon boat? Third, these hulls weigh between 450-600 pounds depending on the brand. My current boat weighs about 300 pounds. Will I notice that difference cranking it up onto the trailer? I do have to crank, I’m no longer spry enough to drive it up the trailer and exit over the bow of the boat. Will I notice a difference moving it around the garage by hand? Of course I will have a tongue jack, like I do now.
Of the three mentioned about, does anyone have any specific comments about them? I know Lund makes a good boat, but their live well doesn’t have a gasket on it, and I’ve heard that they can leak water out of the top when riding the waves. It looks like the Mirrocraft may have the same problem. On the other hand the Alumacraft live well does have a gasket around the opening and is supposed to keep the water in it. The Alumacraft Escape has the widest beam, 76 inches vs 70 inches for the other two. The Mirrocraft is made here in Wisconsin. It did seem a bit bare bones or cheap, or maybe that’s just how the vinyl made it look. They do offer the best seat arrangement. As an option I can have a casting deck with the pedestal base put on the rear of the boat, something the other two don’t offer. I also notice that these boats all have staggered seats, one seat is on the left side of the boat, and the other seat is on the right side of the boat. How do you feel about fishing from so near the gunnel and not in the center of the boat?
So help me out here. I’m in no rush to buy a new boat, but still…… Give me your thoughts and opinions. Better still, does anyone in Southeastern Wisconsin own one and care to take me for a test ride? I’d buy you lunch or give you a few bucks for your time. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I’ll wait for your comments.

The only thing I can help with is... my trailers have a tongue jacks too but have found using a trailer dolly really makes moving my trailers around easy.

I fish out of a 14 ft v hull jon which can be tippy. My last boat was a 16 ft Lowe 1605, a great boat with a casting deck that wasn't tippy since it weighed more. The height of the casting deck probably made a lot of difference too. Lower is better.

I've always thought the wider the boat the more stable it is to enter or move around. If you put a powered winch on the front, any size boat in your range, will load really easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a full V. I presently have a 1652 G3 semi-V. It is very stable, even with my 250 lb, 77-year old frame moving around slowly.

I can assist a bit regarding your query..

"Third, these hulls weigh between 450-600 pounds depending on the brand. My current boat weighs about 300 pounds. Will I notice that difference cranking it up onto the trailer? I do have to crank, I’m no longer spry enough to drive it up the trailer and exit over the bow of the boat."

I often have to crank my boat up. I added PVC gutter downspouts covering over the carpeted bunks. The "DIY-slicks" make moving and cranking my 50 hp heavy tinny up much easier than without.

I did live (Summers only) in Wisconsin near Lake Geneva for a number of years. Most of the launches were marked prohibiting any "Power Loading". That meant that I had to hand-crank her on every time I launched. It wouldn't make me feel bad if I had to buy a 12 volt powered winch if necessary. Not too expensive and would save our old backs!

I'd strongly encourage you to get or make a long boat hook. Sure helped me to load and launch by myself 99% of the time.

As far as moving the boat around in the garage, (with concrete floor) I find that I can push her around easily, as long as the floor is flat.

The old adage of "try it before you buy it" is valid. I'd be scouring Craigslist for similar boats to what you want. Who knows, you might find a used boat, in good condition, that you could get a Sea-Trial on before you make your final commitment. Have your local engine mechanic check it out first, of course.

I know it is still icy up there, but....Spring comes every year.

regards, and don't worry about the length of your messages..my answers are often longer than the query.

Ha Ha (welcome aboard) richg99

"I know Lund makes a good boat, but their live well doesn’t have a gasket on it, and I’ve heard that they can leak water out of the top when riding the waves. It looks like the Mirrocraft may have the same problem. On the other hand the Alumacraft live well does have a gasket around the opening and is supposed to keep the water in it. "

If you like the boat otherwise, adding a gasket wouldn't be a tough job.
richg99

Latest posts