Help! Deciding on a 3 gallon tank

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Ok guys, what, if any, 3 gallon tanks would you recommend? I fish local, under 500 acre lakes, they almost all have a 5mph/no wake restriction. So my old OMC 6 gallon tank is a waste, and I'm selling it. I want a 3 gallon, don't care about a fuel gauge. I'm sure they're all EPA compliant but I don't mind drilling a hole to solve venting/swelling issues. Any recommendations?

I have a Scepter brand 3 gallon tank. Seems to be as good as any of the new EPA compliant tanks. If you don't want to modify the cap, you might want to consider adding an Attwood fuel demand valve (about $20).

Copperhead told me to buy an Attwood and disassemble the cap and remove the little white check valve, viola, no swelling or fuel forced into the crankcase.

Check eBay for Steel tanks. I have one for my 1980 evinrude 6hp motor. Use it on Lakes with HP restrictions.

Sincerely,

jbird68

How about this?

https://www.carid.com/scepter/3-gal-19-3-l-x-12-2-w-x-6-8-h-portable-fuel-tank-mpn-10506.html?view=989691&gclid=CjwKEAjwkq7GBRDun9iu2JjyhmsSJADHCD_H9lnHual5uitkt4zuhg2Z14pLDkOZjhkoy-aouWhchRoCNnjw_wcB

I recently got a 3 gal Tohatsu one. It is just a re-branded Scepter I believe though. The guys at the dealer drilled out what I assume was a check valve for me and it works well in terms of venting gases. However, the price you pay with these new, modified ones is that they still don't have the manual vent allowing you to totally close it for times when it will otherwise slosh it. Not a lot leaks out but enough to leave the tank with a thin layer of fuel/oil mix.

I have all Moellers for my above deck tanks and couldn't be happier with them. Luckily I bought them all before the EPA stopped venting tanks.