Framing Advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First boat renovation for me and I'm looking to install a small rear casting deck. I haven't been able to come up with a standout approach on my own, so I thought I would see if any other eyes/minds had input.

Right now I think I'm going to frame the transom to be supported by the floor (I think the shape of the transom makes it a bit difficult to secure directly). But I've been trying to decide whether to secure a 2x4 to the aluminum framing of the seat, or frame that to be supported from the floor as well....? Cross bracing and 1/2 inch plywood.

I'm hoping to keep the deck low, and I like the idea of keeping the aluminum from for the seat visible (for now) because there are other bits of it throughout the boat. Any input would be appreciated. Pictures below

Thanks
Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0298.JPG
    IMG_0298.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0299.JPG
    IMG_0299.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 527
Rather than doing the typical framework attached to the boat, why not make your decking removable ? Design it like modular tables that rest on the floors and seats and lock into place. Easy to remove... easy to get underneath and clean/inspect ... easy to redesign...... just my 2 cents from a design perspective...

I really like that idea. Have you ever seen it done before?

Thanks
Tyler

I've never seen anyone else do it, which is why I brought up the idea. There might be someone else here that has done it and will expand on the idea. To me it seems unnecessary to connect everything to the boat.

A typical front deck frame might look like this:

b1f3cd800fb2006b790b0b316afc844c.jpg

With screws and welding and often glue holding it in place. why not just design that to be a modular framework that just sits in that position and is locked on place by running along the front edge of the rib instead of being screwed to it ? There really is no reason to connect it to the skin of the boat if you build it right. In that way you would preserve your ability to easily modify and service the various modules. You could work on them in the garage individually... you could stop worrying about using expensive materials that need to last forever because it's all permanently attached and hard to remove.... etc..

I definitely agree with you on that. Part of our goal was to make any decking as removable as possible as we leave the boat in the water all summer. The elements tend to give it a fair beating.

Tyler

Latest posts