How to fill a hole

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint KY

Reaction score
I am converting a bass style boat to an semi-open boat by removing the front deck. In doing so, I removed the live well. The live well pump was a through the transom type, so now I have an 1-1/2" hole in the transom. I could take it to my welder and have him weld in a piece of scrap to seal it, but was wondering if there was an alternative. I looked at the pressure plugs sold at Lowe's but am not sure it would seal on a thin piece of metal as they were designed to seal the end of a pipe.

Any ideas?

richg99 said:
I'm old school. If it were mine, I'd have it welded.

I had a 3/4 inch plug pop out once. The amount of water coming in was impressive.

Richg99

:LOL2: It's amazing how fast it comes in!!

The best alternative to welding would be to cut 2 plates from aluminum sheet that are larger than the hole... 2" diameter circles would be big enough for a 1.5" hole. Drill a hole in the centers and rivet or bolt it into place over the hole on each side, with large dollop of 5200 in between so that it squeezes out all around and fills the gap. That would never fall out and 5200 would hold it watertight nearly forever.

Latest posts