DIY PONTOONS FOR A TIN CANOE??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

I was recently given a 17-foot Grumman Eagle canoe from 1984 in EXCELLENT condition about 3 weeks ago. I've since purchased a NOS Minn-Kota trolling motor & a deep-cycle marine battery to power it for fishing/trolling.

Have any of you built yourself a set of stabilizing pontoons, rather than paying 275-300.oo for a "ready-made" set??

IF you have done such a project, PLEASE share your design with me & perhaps allow me to "pick your brains" about your do it yourself project.

THANKS, satx

This thread has some ideas for an out of the box solution. If you want to pursue it I'd be happy to help.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41884&hilit=outrigger

Shaugh,

SORRY but that would be "overkill" for a canoe & very "burdonsome" to transport when attached to a tin canoe.

I'm currently considering a pair of small pontoons that are about 36x6x6 inches & easily detached from the canoe for transport.
(I'd sooner not have to "re-invent the wheel" & hoped that one of our members might have done this small DIY project before.)

yours, satx

To All,

Fwiw, I bought 2 pair of 5.5x14 inch "crab trap floats" for the "outriggers". = What I'm looking for is a good & not too expensive way to attach them to the canoe, so that they can be used with the trolling motor OR easily detached to paddle the canoe.

yours, satx

there is a thread here somewhere on here. someone used pvc pipes. i loved the 17' grumman canoe we had at lake gaston as a kid. tough canoe

Building a set is not a big deal and can be done for small $$$.

I've made them for a couple of kayaks and one canoe. Funny thing was, after I mounted them to the canoe, I paddled around for a week or so and found that I didn't need them at all.

I've long ago taken them apart, but have enough pieces left over to cobble up this picture. Just a large pool noodle, jammed over a piece of PVC. Angles and shaped to fit your particular boat.

regards, richg99

p.s. Some guys mount rod holders and affix the PVC ends into the rod holders. That way, you can tilt the outriggers up or down into the water.

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_115039.jpg
    IMG_20170328_115039.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,589
richg99,

At 70YY & "with some balance issues", I don't feel safe/secure standing up to fly-fish out of a canoe, absent stabilizers.

I'm hoping that one of our FINE/TALENTED members has a better idea than the designs that I've found on the "worldwideweird".

yours, satx

Tex - if it were mine, I would look at thin wall 6" PVC pipe capped on each end
and make some braces out of EMT electrical conduit connected with "U" bolts/clamps.

on a personal note - anyone with vertigo or balance issues
should not be standing up in a canoe or kayak or G3-1032 at all ......
I know I couldn't do it !!!!!!!!!!

jus my Dos Centavos

When I referred to the thread about the bolted to the side outriggers I didn't necessarily mean doing it exactly that way. If you want to do a one side outrigger like this :

491cfe4a73bf3ad74672a2f0d181ac7d.jpg

That could also be accomplished with minimal weight and expense by using the same basic construction idea combined with a detachable framework.

outrigger.png

These EMT fittings would work great. Much easier to work with and stronger than PVC pipe. Easy to assemble on site.

2 of these on top of each outrigger:
https://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fitting-1-Foot-Pad-p/2255.htm
https://www.ysbw.com/Canopy-Fitting-1-Elbow-p/2220.htm

Then put 1" Conduit rails attached to the thwarts.

Johnny,

THANK YOU for your service in the USN.

My GUESS is that you didn't serve on land in RVN or elsewhere in SE Asia

yours, satx
USA, Retired

Latest posts