It's All Covered!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Fisher

Reaction score
Just a little bragging and cogitation about my new boat cover...

I used the 4.99 polyester fabric from Fabric Wholesale Direct.

It is 1/3 the cost of Sunbrella, for good reason. Much lower thread count. It achieves waterproofness by its coating. Fabric and coating together are about as heavy per yard as Sunbrella:
20170326_184512_zpsaz8hntbd.jpg

(Sunbrella to the left, and top and reverse of Amazon fabric at the right)

I got 10 yards for my 16' boat. Here's what was left of the bolt:

20170326_183446_zpsbkghjma2.jpg

The result:
20170326_182856_zpsj8boiynj.jpg

or:
20170326_182418_zpsoi3pbqrm.jpg

Ployester fabric is easily sewn with a household sewing machine. I did to a bit of hand sewing at the bow to finish the job.

The unknown is how long the coating will last.

No. All seams were "faux" flat felled.

79bd85fcb530e69d544def96f60dbdb6.jpg

Further, I took some care to ensure that the exposed seams were folded in a "shed water" direction.

One advantage of this seam is that the first pass is a simple straight line down the final seam. The second pass makes the seam far stronger and neater. (I used good Dacron V92 thread and a normal needle.)

Looks great!

I also homemade a cover. I used generic sunbrella material. I had watched a 'how to' on the 'net; wish I had known about your stitch pattern, as it looks very strong.

I used double stick carpet tape to hold the seam together while feeding it thru my singer. I had to wad it up to get it under the machine arm, so the tape kept it straight. Maybe it provided some sealing too.

Latest posts