Help me NOT get hosed please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boblee

Reaction score
First off, I'm not sure that this is the right place to post this, so if not, then please delete.
I'm looking at a nice boat here in my hometown. I love the rig, but can't find a lot of used comparables anywhere. I just wanna make sure I'm not gonna pay 2k too much.

It is a Stick Steer 16' Seaark MV1652 super Jon with custom aluminum Floor. All welded. All aluminum. Total of 8 pedestal seat bases with 4 camo seats/poles (one base each on rear and front deck, 4 bases in a line on the floor for duck hunting, and 2 side by side up front for spider rigging) Yachtclub Trailer. Kitted 10H.P. Johnson Outboard Motor. Minn Kota All Terrain Bowmount Trolling Motor. Fulton trailer jack. Spare Tire. Lights and battery w/box. Paddle. All bought new in 2000. One owner. Starts right up and runs great. Has anchor cranks mounted front and back (both accessible from the driver seat). Camo painted Inside and out. Always garage kept, and maintained professionally. $5500

I'm NEEDING a stable, "do all", boat to fish 9.9 lakes and do everything else when needed. I'll probably get a 40hp after I purchase it for bigger water and swap the 9.9 in for the small lakes.

That price sound reasonable? I'm willing to pay above it's worth because of its history, but not 2k over. I can post some pics if everyone prefers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

How old is the motor and where are you located? I would say those can be a big influence. For example if you happened to be close to Arkansas where those boats are made and are common amongst duck hunters I would want the price to reflect the saturated used aluminum boat market.

On the flip side if the boat is in great shape and has a lot of accessories, those add up fast. My rig is a 1648 alumacraft I bought new with a new trailer for about $2700. I added a used 9.9hp motor for $750 more. But the boat was bare bones. Had to add TM, battery, pedestal bases, pedestals, seats, fish finder, floor, etc. I still have lots to do and am probably $4k in already.

wmk0002 said:
How old is the motor and where are you located? I would say those can be a big influence. For example if you happened to be close to Arkansas where those boats are made and are common amongst duck hunters I would want the price to reflect the saturated used aluminum boat market.

On the flip side if the boat is in great shape and has a lot of accessories, those add up fast. My rig is a 1648 alumacraft I bought new with a new trailer for about $2700. I added a used 9.9hp motor for $750 more. But the boat was bare bones. Had to add TM, battery, pedestal bases, pedestals, seats, fish finder, floor, etc. I still have lots to do and am probably $4k in already.
Motor is 2000, and I'm in Jackson, Missouri. Close to the bootheel, near Arkansas. Thx for that info. Helpful.

Just for comparison purposes, you could use 'search tempest', which searches craig's list nationwide. Gives you a much wider swath of info for not much work.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Just for comparison purposes, you could use 'search tempest', which searches craig's list nationwide. Gives you a much wider swath of info for not much work.
Thank you. I'll try that

Not sure why those pics loaded upside down. Sorry

Google What is my boat worth. " It will direct you to several sites . Enter the data for the boat you are looking for and they will give you the fair selling price. You can see if the guy is in the ballpark. Let us know

jeffh129 said:
Google What is my boat worth. " It will direct you to several sites . Enter the data for the boat you are looking for and they will give you the fair selling price. You can see if the guy is in the ballpark. Let us know
I ended up using searchtempest as suggested to me earlier. It worked VERY well. It searches all Craigslist sites within a certain mileage and allowed me to find more comparables. I bought it today, though I likely paid $700-1000 too much, but it was set up exactly how I wanted it, the seller is a well known local business man here in our town (I too own a business here), he insisted I take the boat out with my family to try it out before paying him a dime, and gave me a lot of extras. It's always been garage kept and he bought/customized it new. One owner. So all that was pretty important to me. Im.sure I'll get enough years/use out of it to make it worth it, so I'm happy. Ha

You paid what it was worth to you.
You know it was a good deal when both the seller and buyer are happy.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You paid what it was worth to you.
You know it was a good deal when both the seller and buyer are happy.
Ha, yep. I'd say ur right. Good call.
Boblee said:
jeffh129 said:
I ended up using searchtempest as suggested to me earlier. It worked VERY well. It searches all Craigslist sites within a certain mileage and allowed me to find more comparables. I bought it today, though I likely paid $700-1000 too much, but it was set up exactly how I wanted it, the seller is a well known local business man here in our town (I too own a business here), he insisted I take the boat out with my family to try it out before paying him a dime, and gave me a lot of extras. It's always been garage kept and he bought/customized it new. One owner. So all that was pretty important to me. Im.sure I'll get enough years/use out of it to make it worth it, so I'm happy. Ha

Sounds like you did very well. Very good rig, from a reputable person and some extra stuff. Peace of mind is priceless.... you didn't overpay.

jeffh129 said:
Sounds like you did very well. Very good rig, from a reputable person and some extra stuff. Peace of mind is priceless.... you didn't overpay.
Thanks bud. Now on to the fish!

I'd say that you did very well. Seaark is a well known and respected brand. "Built like a tank" is what I hear.

The specific statement "he insisted I take the boat out with my family to try it out before paying him a dime" would pretty much have sealed the deal for me.

If a guy wasn't truthful in every way, he wouldn't offer that option.

Well Done!

richg99

richg99 said:
I'd say that you did very well. Seaark is a well known and respected brand. "Built like a tank" is what I hear.

The specific statement "he insisted I take the boat out with my family to try it out before paying him a dime" would pretty much have sealed the deal for me.

If a guy wasn't truthful in every way, he wouldn't offer that option.

Well Done!

richg99
couldnt agree more. thank you sir