Stability Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdavis821

Reaction score
I have a 14' Flat bottom and after decking it out, it seems a little unstable with two people in it. like yesterday me and my wife went out in it and she was sitting down and I was standing up and every time one of us would move the boat would rock one way or the other. I added two 50lb bags of sand to the back of it and it helped a little. any one have any suggestions?

Photos are always a good idea when addressing issues such as this.

how wide is your boat ?
how high is the deck from the bottom of the hull?
how big are you ?

many factors affect the stability of any watercraft.
your center of gravity and balance may have been compromised.
more wider = more stable - more safe.

Not only has the center of gravity of the boat been compromised but the angle at which it capsizes has been reduced. Also as the boat rocks side to side the load or a passenger can slip and greatly increase the chance of a capsize. Gerr covers this topic well in 'The Nature of Boats'.

well I guess I can't upload photos on here because I sent a personal message by mistake.

Johnny is dead on bro. I have 1436 which is a tad skinny for decking....I chose to deck it low at first but went high soon after. The advice from everyone here has been spot on, much to my chagrin lol. Get used to instability in just about anything under 48" brother....it is fun to tinker around in hopes of an engineering marvel that changes the laws of stupid physics lol. :LOL2:

btw, I figured out a neat way to combat drift... :D

Latest posts