A couple of trailer improvements today.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
IMG_20170401_105254.jpg
#1. This morning, I bought a 3/4 inch Galvanized 36 inch long pipe. Added a Pipe flange and a galvanized 5/16ths square U bolt. Slipped a piece of PVC over the top and finished it with a galvanized cap. This handle should help me get my old body over the bow and onto my trailer when recovering the boat.

IMG_20170401_095443.jpg
#2. I've also had issues trying to drive my boat up on the trailer exactly far enough to easily crank her on. Sometimes, I would be too short, and other times too far. I added two pieces of electrical tape in line with my trailer riser.

Now, by glancing down when I am on the console, I know whether or not I am properly positioned without hanging over the bow to check.

regards, richg99

Have you ever seen those steps that help you board a boat....Google "easy step" maybe that would make things a little easier.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Re steps. Funny that you mention that now. I looked into a number of them. One is offered by iboats. Costs just under $300.00.

The reviews said "not for a full sized guy".

On Friday, I ran into a guy who had one. I watched him recover his boat. He was smaller than I. He said it was too lightweight for him.

I'll see how the handle goes before I do anything else. Thanks,. Richg99

Very nice improvements.
I would definitely appreciate #2 on my Dads boat, especially seeing that I'm not
accustomed to drive on trailers.
I often have to guess how far I need to go when driving it on.
Great idea!

jasper

Rich; Pipe is notoriously soft. I wouldn't want to trust my life to your grab handle pole. If it's just a balance aid, ok, but if you put any real side force on it, I would suspect it isn't going to last.

Roger

Roger. That is interesting. I've never thought of 3/4 inch iron pipe as soft.

As you suggested, it will primarily be used to steady me as I swing my old legs over the bow.

Richg99

I think the way you have that rigged it should be plenty strong. Screwed into the flange and U-bolted to the winch post should provide enough support especially if most of the force is applied downward. I'm thinking of a setup such as that. I can kind of put one foot on my spare tire and grab onto the winch post and mostly not fall in but a step would be a big help.

Tried the "grab post" Wednesday morning for the first time. It worked super well. By holding onto the post, my big 'ol butt was easily swung over the bow and onto my spare tire, thence to the front step-pad on the trailer tongue.

Someone suggested that the Galvanized U-bolts were too long. They were very right.

I also reversed the U-bolts. I found that by positioning the too-long portion to the Port side, they blocked my winch handle from turning. At the boat ramp, I had to reverse the U-bolts. When I arrived home I cut them off and smoothed the sharp edges. All seems well now.

Most of my projects need some "tweaking" on the first or second trip out, it seems.

richg99

Nice job Rich! I bet if you ask nicely, you could find a young lady at the boat ramp to do a dance on that pole for you. LOL!

You never know until you ask!

I can attest to the necessity of getting in and out of a boat while on the trailer. Our rigid inflatables have a nice ladder on the front for just that reason.