Realistic capacity Alumacraft 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcn

Reaction score
I've about got the interior of my jon to bass conversion complete. The weight capacity on sticker for the boat shows 5 people or just over 1000 pounds. I have added a 6 foot front deck, rear deck, 4 seats (one driver/one passenger, pro seat on the front and a seat on the rear), and a floor. It has beaver tail pods on the rear along with a 40 hp Mariner. Could I realistically take 3 men averaging 215lbs and a 40 lb child? All decking is 3/4 plywood and framing is 2x3s. What do you think? My plan is to try it out Saturday.

I wouldn't consider a 1648 a 5 person boat....not comfortably at least. I fished for many years out of a Lowe 1648 and only once or twice did we have more than 3 people in it. Years ago I hunted out of a 1752 and I still wouldn't consider that a 5 person fishing boat. Too many people too close casting is asking for trouble.

Most weight capacities include motor weight. My guess is you will be real close. Pack a really light lunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sticker on my 1752 Weldbilt says 7 people or 750 lbs...I guess those boats were designed to be used by children! No way 7 people will fit in there, and I've definitely had more than 750lbs in that boat (including the engine). I'm not saying you should ignore the weight rating, but sometimes they're not always accurate. Maybe load the boat up with some weight that will simulate 3 men and a child, and see how it handles on smooth water. Then use your own discretion to determine if you can safely handle the vessel under less than ideal conditions.