How would you....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Ok.... If, and it's a big if, I wanted to find a way to blend this together. My new nose cap I'm putting on to support my trolling motor. Bondo putty? Fiberglass resin? Maybe even like a plasti-dip rubber coating? Any ideas out there?

personally, I am a fan of polyester resin and fiberglass cloth and mat.

I would start about 3" back and run it over the edge of the plywood
and over the bit that you want to blend - sand smooth - done.
then - do your waterproofing and carpet or what ever your plan is after that.
I would not bother with the messy dipping or flex-seal stuff.
Bondo and other hard fillers will only crack and fall out after awhile.

jus my Dos Centavos

If you're looking for a clean transition between the two then yes - fiberglass mat & resin is probably your best bet, I'd make sure you get the paint off the aluminum and really scuff it up rough so the resin can make a strong bond to the gunwale.

Being that this is in the front corner the flexing shouldn't be as extreme as it would be if you were trying to do something similar in the middle of the boat. If fiberglass fails you can always put a piece of thin gauge angled aluminum trim that wraps from the wood surface over the top of the rounded gunwale.

Thanks gents....I do have fiberglass experience so I think I'll go that route if I decide to do it at all...

I'm never happy when I try to do things with goop.... why not try just putting a sheet metal angle that is screwed down to the top of the plywood and butts up perfectly against the crown of the railing ?

I have done a lot with plasti dip on cars and other stuff. It does not fill gaps but goes on in many light layers similar to paint. I don't think it would be a good option here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were I, I'd finish the plywood by routing the edge with a round-over bit. Then paint or fiberglass as you wish.

I would then do the "blend" by using a marine caulk. It is going to separate and show the joining line sooner or later. At least with caulk, you can touch it up with no problem.

richg99

Yeah, I'm almost thinking that once everything is finished it'll look fine, and not worth the trouble of trying to blend it. We'll see, I'll be finished with the rest of the boat next weekend and will be getting it's first water test, we'll see how that goes. I think with a trolling motor up there it won't really be that noticeable anyways

Latest posts