V hull flat floor construction

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxamillion

Reaction score
Need advice on how to put a flat floor in this boat, I'll be doing a flat floor up a little more than halfway up the boat. Until it reaches my future raised casting platform. I want to use square aluminum tubing and lay it on top of each rib, which would allow my to lay my marine plywood on top of it. But I can't figure out how to secure my aluminum tubing down to the ribs. I was thinking welding the bottom lip of the square tubing to the end of the rib but am open to suggestions using rivets and brackets.
Thank you

Just make sure you include a plan to brace back the sidewalls where you removed the seats. Those are structural components of lightweight tin boats and taking them out without relacing the structure can be a good recipe for failure on the water. Think about what happens when you take on a wave from the bow.. the force of the water pushes the bow upwards, which in turn allows the sidewalls to seperate from each other since you removed the structural cross brace. If that happens dramatically you will have structural failure. Even if it only happens slightly, over time you can form stress cracks in your gunwale.

This Is how i received the boat, no seats or anything. -any suggestions on how to brace the sidewealls?

Hard to tell if it had benches or not. To use square you'd need to rivet an L shaped piece on each rib and then to the tubing but myself I would use alum angle on top of the ribs from one side to the other and maybe space two vertical pieces of angle under each one those, riveted to the floor ribs. Then box in the sides for storage and structural support. fwiw.

cVMazYdl.jpg

Use angle instead of tube, get at least 1.5 inch and rivet to center of rib. Did something similar on my lower, link below

What do you mean rivet to the center of the rib? Do you mean riveting down onto the top of the rib, or riveting into the side?? And how is the aluminum angle oriented?

What do you mean rivet to the center of the rib? Do you mean riveting down onto the top of the rib, or riveting into the side?? And how is the aluminum angle oriented?

Would you guys run the aluminum angle stern to bow or side to side to make the floor?

Good question. Some boat makers used to run two stringers or joists down the middle so the floor rested on it and the side edges. Maybe they still do.

Think I'll run two aluminum angle bow to stern evenly spaced, then run the rest across side to side and rivet in place.

I was thinking of screwing self tapping screws through the aluminum square tube into the rib and having them run stern to bow. I can't figure out how you would secure plywood to a piece of aluminum angle flooring like you guys are saying, it just does not make sense to me.

Does anyone have any more suggestions on this floor? I still am unsure of whether to use angle or square tubing and how to design the floor.

Max - spend some time looking through the hundreds and hundreds
of threads on building floors and decks in boats. use the "search" feature.
you may find a previous build project that will fit into your design vision.

I will be doing basically the same build as you.
I will run 1-1/4" aluminum angle along the sides of the hull and attach with pop rivets.
several verticle supports will be attached to the ribs and the angle attached to the tops of them
from left to right to build the skeleton - more bracing = better structure and stability.
you have to make a few relief cuts with a hacksaw to form to the curvatures of the hull.
Boat building is an adventure - - - not a marathon

our fellow member, Pappy, said that an easy way to find the cleanest lines for bracing or paint
is to put your boat on the trailer and adjust the "level" as you think it will sit in the water
with you and all your gear in it . . . . put in the plug and fill with water to the level you
want your floors - - - let the water become still and mark the edge of the water on the hull
with a Sharpie. Drain water and dry. Install the bracing 1/2 - 3/4" below your marks.
that way your floor will be flat for your use - not conforming to any other hull measurements.
(you can also check for any leaks while you have water in it).

Latest posts