G3 1652 VBW - New Setup Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindBag86

Reaction score
Hey all -

New here to tinboats - just picked up a new G3 1652 VBW. First time really diving into the small boat world as a lot of fishing is done out of the yak. Have a couple questions I am hoping to get some feedback on..

Picked up a minn kota powerdrive TM, figured it would be pretty straight forward since there is an access panel up by the bow, however, seems too small to really access underneath to properly secure down. Has anyone else mounted one of these before on a G3? Suggestions? Are isolator bolts really the last resort and if so do they work? I am also considering widening the access panel. Also has anyone run power from the bow to the stern?

Does anyone mount on a wooden backer to the transom? i've heard that sometimes the outboard clamps may slip with metal to metal contact if making slightly aggressive turns.

Anything else I should consider adding on for convenience? What are the best swivel style seats on the market? Best rod holders?

Appreciate any help thanks

IMG_2604.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

i previously owned a g3 1444. i belieave the bow has wood under the aluminum. you can screw right to it. i used ss screws w a dab of silicon to hold em.. try to place your tm batteries up front.your rear tm use a rope,string, cable to tie down to your transom brace, you could also put a screw in t. ihave had one come off undre way. it had ring terminals though and didnt go far.you are gonna have to put seat bases in, use some kind of backer boars under the deck up front if there is no wood under it, bolt it if you can. on the rear seat i put 2 seat bases, one to run engine ,it was offset to right side, and one in the center, i spanned the rear area w plywood to make a bigger fishing deck.i have had all kinds of seats on my jons, what iam looking at now are millenium seats, they look like they would be cooler in the GA heat. flooring is another thing to think about. presently i have eve foam mats, the puzzle type, under some carpeting, you can look at hydroturf, if u have a big budget. the possibilities are endless. let me know if i can help. where r u located?good luck

What outboard? My 15hp Johnson spent 6 months at the bottom of a local lake after flying off during an aggressive turn in a small cat. Now I always drill and bolt or secure smaller O/B with a safety chain. Got the motor back and it still runs but the look on my face must have been pretty funny as I watched it sail through the air and land in my wake still running at WOT.

hipster dufus said:
i previously owned a g3 1444. i belieave the bow has wood under the aluminum. you can screw right to it. i used ss screws w a dab of silicon to hold em.. try to place your tm batteries up front.your rear tm use a rope,string, cable to tie down to your transom brace, you could also put a screw in t. ihave had one come off undre way. it had ring terminals though and didnt go far.you are gonna have to put seat bases in, use some kind of backer boars under the deck up front if there is no wood under it, bolt it if you can. on the rear seat i put 2 seat bases, one to run engine ,it was offset to right side, and one in the center, i spanned the rear area w plywood to make a bigger fishing deck.i have had all kinds of seats on my jons, what iam looking at now are millenium seats, they look like they would be cooler in the GA heat. flooring is another thing to think about. presently i have eve foam mats, the puzzle type, under some carpeting, you can look at hydroturf, if u have a big budget. the possibilities are endless. let me know if i can help. where r u located?good luck

I am going to have to check if there is actually wood underneath the bow, if so that would be great to just screw in the trolling motor. For whatever reason I just don't have a sense there is though. It has the floor kit installed already which isn't bad, its aluminum covered with a vinyl spray. Seating I was thinking about those ez-swivel pin seats, unsure how people like them though. Going to try and get her in the water in a couple weeks to feel it all out and go from there, I am sure that will determine alot of things.

BlindBag86 said:
hipster dufus said:

I am going to have to check if there is actually wood underneath the bow, if so that would be great to just screw in the trolling motor. For whatever reason I just don't have a sense there is though. It has the floor kit installed already which isn't bad, its aluminum covered with a vinyl spray. Seating I was thinking about those ez-swivel pin seats, unsure how people like them though. Going to try and get her in the water in a couple weeks to feel it all out and go from there, I am sure that will determine alot of things.
Pretty sure there's wood under there. I cut a hole for a storage hatch in my front deck and cut through metal, an extra layer of metal in spots, and either 3/4 or 5/8 plywood. This was an Alumacraft with the same factory layout.

hipster dufus said:
Don't forget forum members get 15% off Hydro Turf at www.pwcmuscle.com with promo code hydro15 :)

Latest posts