Introductiion - New Member

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDub

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is Perry from San Jose, CA. I recently purchased a '87 Gregor MX-510 after scouring local craigslist and other ads for the last couple of months. As a teenager my grandpa bought me a Gregor U-123 paired with a Mercury 7.5hp and that was my introduction into boating, so Gregor Boats have always held a soft spot in my heart and memories of my grandpa. This boat came with a Johnson 28SPL and galvanized Tomco trailer. Overall, the boat has been used and left out in the weather a good portion of its life. The carpeted flooring is worn in some of the high traffic areas and some portions of plywood are showing through but seems sound. While I did not get to do a sea trial of the boat, I did get to fire up the motor (had to bring my own premix gas and a battery), do a compression test and check the lower end fluid. The motor sputtered quite a bit since it had not been started for 2-3 years, but once she fired up was running pretty smooth. We were able to run the motor in a large tub of water and the water pump indicator started streaming water almost immediately which I thought was a good sign. The steering system works well and the throttle and shift cables are in good shape but the control box is worn with lots of slop. Perhaps some tightening/adjusting of some of the linkage will help.

I joined this site to get ideas and bounce questions on my renovation, and also to share some of the improvements I make along the way. While the Tomco trailer is in fair shape it needs tires, probably new wheel bearings, new bunk carpeting, and a new winch and strap I may opt to use the EZ Loader trailer I bought for my Hobie Pro Angler kayak which is newer and in much better condition and has a higher load capacity which was overkill for the Hobie. Look forward to your comments and help.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I purchased the Gregor from a guy in Concord headed towards Clayton. He inherited the boat from his late friend who lived in Graeagle and primarily fished Lake Davis for trout. Glad I made it home without issues since the trailer had a pair of bald tires and a spare that didn't have a valve stem.

Already started the tear down and hope to have it back together in a couple of weeks.

Welcome aboard. Always fun to have another inmate join the asylum.

Sounds like your new yacht hasn't been run in a while, other than your test. You might consider changing out the water pump impeller. They get stiff when set up for a long time and have been known to break and throw small pieces into the cooling system.

Just as the rubber in the tires can be dried out from sitting up, the impeller can, too.

You probably know, if you change out the bunks, to NOT USE Treated lumber. Sounded like you will be simply changing out the carpet, though.

We look forward to reports of your efforts.

regards, richg99

p.s. Helps some if you add your general location in your profile. You might find a helping hand right nearby.